MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

US Model 1855 Bayonet with SN 001 Possible???

Article about: Hey Everyone, Here is a US Model 1855 Bayonet marked S&K (Schnitzler & Kirschbaum) that was normally associated with the Colt "Revolving" Carbine. I know that it is in poor

Default US Model 1855 Bayonet with SN 001 Possible???

Hey Everyone,

Here is a US Model 1855 Bayonet marked S&K (Schnitzler & Kirschbaum) that was normally associated with the Colt "Revolving" Carbine. I know that it is in poor condition but my question was about the serial number. Is it possible that this is actually the first one made??? With a serial number of 001, and there appears to be a "P" beside the SN.

Could anyone help to shed some more light about these? I know some about the Colt carbine but was not aware of the bayonet, and there is very little info on the internet, nor is there very many of them sold or being sold, at least that I could find.

Also as far as value, would the SN help in adding value, considering condition, if it is indeed correct?

Any help would be appreciated.
    US Model 1855 Bayonet with SN 001   Possible???

It's not a US pattern 1855 bayonet, which wasn't a true yataghan style, though it did have a curved blade. This is a Schnitzler und Kirschbaum bayonet likely supplied to the US government during the Civil War. It's a generic yataghan, of which there were numerous variations. The serial number "001 P" simply is the first in the "P batch" of which there could have been a thousand or more. Not particularly rare, and only fair condition, leather scabbard lost to time.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's not a US pattern 1855 bayonet, which wasn't a true yataghan style, though it did have a curved blade. This is a Schnitzler und Kirschbaum bayonet likely supplied to the US government during the Civil War. It's a generic yataghan, of which there were numerous variations. The serial number "001 P" simply is the first in the "P batch" of which there could have been a thousand or more. Not particularly rare, and only fair condition, leather scabbard lost to time.
    I agree. This m 1842-manufactured in Germany.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Hey Anderson, Sorry for the delay in my response but has been really busy.

Thank you for your input and you are absolutely correct. There were two US Model 1855's, one was a socket and used on the .58 cal M1855, M1861 and M1863 muskets, and the other was was similar to this one and was used on the altered M1841 "Mississippi" Rifles.

What I meant was the "Colt Model 1855 sabre/bayonet", but now that you have brought my attention to it and looking at it again, although very similar to this one, it is not correct because those were straight blades and the guard was different.

However I dont think it is a true 1842 either as the guard is slightly different in that the lower quillon does not have that rounded almost ball shape like the 1842, and the fuller is narrower and it stops way short of the Ricasso, where as the 1842 goes almost all the way to the Ricasso and is much wider.

I could be wrong but my guess would be one of the S&K 1842 clones and probably made for a Belgian export gun used in the civil war. Both S&K and Kirschbaum (British P1856 artillery bayonet) had contracts with the US and CS Government during the Civil War for edged weapons. The Belgians used an 1842 pattern French Musket, and I am pretty sure that I read somewhere, so correct me if I am wrong, but these muskets were also imported to the US early in the civil war. The cloned 1842 bayonet, being German made, lacks any imperial proof marks, or any that we can see anyway, and or any regimental markings as would be correct for an exported bayonet sent to the US.

I do agree with you on the value but to be fair to the seller and our buyers I wanted to make sure others (collectors) also agreed with my sentiment.

I never did understand why they referred these bayonets as Yataghan. Yes Yat's have the curvature in the blade but many other edged weapons also have this and are not considered Yat's, and to me one of the more important traits of the Yat. and what seperates it from the others is that it has no guard. All of the so called Yat. bayonets have guards for obvious reasons, but that is just my lonely opinion. :-)