Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US Model 1905 bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone I recently picked up my first US Model 1905 bayonet with Model 1910 second pattern scabbard from eBay. The seller's pictures weren't great but the price was good so I thought

?

Default US Model 1905 bayonet

Hello everyone

I recently picked up my first US Model 1905 bayonet with Model 1910 second pattern scabbard from eBay. The seller's pictures weren't great but the price was good so I thought I would take the risk.

Bayonet was made at Rock Island Arsenal in 1910 and has a bright finish blade which looks like it has been lightly hand sharpened/polished at some stage. The scabbard canvas has a tear near the hook and a spare piece of canvas has been jammed in to hold the hook in place. I know there are a lot of reproduction scabbards so I would like some opinions on whether this is original and also if anyone knows what the painted on markings refer to.

Thanks
    Alex
    US Model 1905 bayonetUS Model 1905 bayonetUS Model 1905 bayonetUS Model 1905 bayonet

?

Look legitimate from what I see , not sure what or when that extra piece is all about. The blued line near the riccasso is often not visible on a RIA produced example.

Scabbard info:
    Bayo_Points_43

I've collected quite a few of these over the years, they can be addictive.
    Regards,
    John

?

Thanks for the reply John. I imagine the extra piece was wedged in to stop the canvas from tearing any further along the hook. The blued line did make me wonder if the bayonet had been refinished and then polished back to bright.

I wouldn't mind a better conditioned one but I'm not sure if i can justify the crazy prices they seem to go for.

Alex

?

Alex,
    It a nice example, I just checked and think you did well price wise, congrats.

Good luck on the unit marking, I've found nothing matching so far.
    Regards,
    John