Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

USMC Ka-Bar

Article about: by CBH Now that's a KNIFE lol . I already have a very large SOG knife , but it weighs a ton ! And would cause other campers to question my sanity . But if the zombies were at the door I gues

Default USMC Ka-Bar

Initial thoughts on this one please...genuine or not ?........its offered for sale on another site, looks genuine to me but its obvious that the handle and blade are a little 'misaligned' which if I bought it I know would irritate me a little but I have been looking for one for a while......shall I wait for another to come along ? .........decisions...decisions.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC Ka-Bar   USMC Ka-Bar  

Default Re: USMC Ka-Bar

I believe this is genuine post war production.
    If you are looking for a keeper, I would wait for another. I have several, three are war time and the rest are post war. The example that I have like this one is currently used often when I am camping.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph....Thanks for your reply....how did your recognise it as post war ? and is there much difference in the asking price between wartime and post war examples......I appreciate that each one should be evaluated on its own merits...but just as a general rule ?

Phil

CBH
    ?

It's a modern remake , made by Ka-Bar . They used the WWII patterns to remake this . You can still buy them new ! As Ralph stated it's a great camping outdoors Knife , I've had one for some years now and after lots of hard use ,it's still holding up great . It might pass for a WWII one now !
    Cheers Chris

Quote by CBH View Post
    It's a modern remake , made by Ka-Bar . They used the WWII patterns to remake this . You can still buy them new ! As Ralph stated it's a great camping outdoors Knife , I've had one for some years now and after lots of hard use ,it's still holding up great . It might pass for a WWII one now !
    Cheers Chris
    OK Thanks...............I have evidently missed the obvious then................KA-BAR was not a wartime manufacturer as I eroneously assumed.............genuinely fellas us beginners would be lost without the experience of others.....guess we all have to start somewhere though.................

Hello Phil,
    The finish is the first thing that I see. The second is the sheath.
    The current ones have a different finish than this already. They are now powder coated, this one is parkerized. I do not like the current production of this knife, although I own a couple anyways.
    The quality of the knife is the same, but the finish makes it look fake. Here are a couple examples of war time ones that are in my collection. The war time ones are more expensive than the example that you have posted. I have also posted a couple photos of a miniature that I created using one like the one you posted for reference.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC Ka-Bar   USMC Ka-Bar  

USMC Ka-Bar   USMC Ka-Bar  

USMC Ka-Bar  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

They were all misaligned.
    I dont like the look either.

I never cared much for the KaBar. Just got a Camillus MKII from the first rare run with screwed end cap instead of pinned.

Quote by Scout View Post
    They were all misaligned.

I never cared much for the KaBar. Just got a Camillus MKII from the first rare run with screwed end cap instead of pinned.
    Sorry to disagree Scout, they are not all mis-aligned.
    They are a good quality knife and I have used mine to, and as recently as last summer, clean and fillet many fish.
    Ralph.

CBH
    ?

I much prefer the Ka-bar to the Camillus , I've owned both . The Ka-bar has a small handle and fits into the hand much better , and much better steel IMO . Here a photo of mine along side an aluminum cast example made by an old girl-friend at art-school ! Should have held onto that one . lol
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC Ka-Bar  

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Sorry to disagree Scout, they are not all mis-aligned.
    They are a good quality knife and I have used mine to, and as recently as last summer, clean and fillet many fish.
    Ralph.
    No need to be sorry

Exchange of relevant info is just that - relevant

But dont confuse me pointing out an inherent construction detail with me putting down the quality of the knife.

I havent said anything in regards to that.

I'll get to what I dont find optimal about the design, but until now, I havent commented on the quality - more on that below how ever, now that you mention it

I didnt mean to step on the toes of any KaBar fans.

The KaBar is a classic and a fine knife. Its is firmly established as a solid WWII utility fighter.
    Further more in the eyes of most, its an icon and as much a symbol of WWII as is the Garand.
    So much so, that most people think 'KaBar' no matter which WWII knife is put on the table, if it looks even remotely like the utility knife. Even though many other companies made utility knives during WWII.
    Much in the style of Levis being synonomous with jeans and Xerox for copies.

Let me rephrase as something often gets lost, as we type and dont have this discussion face to face: Its just of a certain construction, which if you look at these pics, youll know what I mean - both on the bigger knife on the left hand corner and on the leather handled rendition
    KA-BAR Knives, Inc. - Knives > All Categories > Full-size USMC KA-BAR, Straight Edge - Hardcore Lives. Hardcore Knives.

It has that lopsided look - its just the construction of some models. It doesnt take anything away from the knife per se.

Now down to the nitty gritty:

Though all others seem to be a fan of the KaBar, one thing I never cared for, is the flimsy and quite frankly cheap looking traditional handguard (something they remedied on some of the modern renditions of the KaBar). The flimsy handguards often bend, as can be seen on many WWII Kabars. Again, this is to some degree only cosmetic and doesnt mean anything for the function of the knife (unless the guard gets bent in a too radical angle of course).

Gen 2 KaBar with updated handguard for obvious reasons:

Of all the WWII utility knives, I far prefer the superior design of the Cattaraugus 225Q - here is the first one (of a handful) that Ive bought:

A VERY well-built and high quality knife. The hand guard is far superior to that of the KaBar IMO.

Again, thats just MY opinion.

Here the Camillus MKII, that I just got - note handguard:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast