Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is this bayonet?

Article about: What is this bayonet? A revamped bayonet Chassepot or something else? Here are the photos.

?

Default What is this bayonet?

What is this bayonet? A revamped bayonet Chassepot or something else? Here are the photos.

What is this bayonet?What is this bayonet?What is this bayonet?What is this bayonet?

It is in fact a French Chassepot bayonet made for the French by the Solingen company of Weyersburg and Co, around 1868, just before the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870.

It is reported that the Kaiser was asked if it was wise to supply bayonets to the French, to which he replied "Why not? We'll get them back quite soon."

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It is in fact a French Chassepot bayonet made for the French by the Solingen company of Weyersburg and Co, around 1868, just before the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870.

It is reported that the Kaiser was asked if it was wise to supply bayonets to the French, to which he replied "Why not? We'll get them back quite soon."

For comparison I give photo bayonets Chassepot and incomprehensible bayonets. There is a difference. This is my question

What is this bayonet?

The answer is in the first reply. Most likely captured by Prussians and adapted to fit Prussian rifles. The same occurred later with the Gras bayonet, also used by Germans.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The answer is in the first reply. Most likely captured by Prussians and adapted to fit Prussian rifles. The same occurred later with the Gras bayonet, also used by Germans.
    I guess it might be remaking or clone.
    But for alterations under another rifle-1871, 1880 ... -It is necessary to change the handle.
    And it's not done. Modified hook crosspieces. Maybe someone met with such bayonets?

?

The total length of the bayonet-695 mm. Ring diameter is 20 mm.

?

Here is a pic of a modified Chassepot bayonet used by the Baden Landwehr on their commission 88 rifles. Not the best shot but you can see the handle and they did reissue these like Anderson mentioned.
    What is this bayonet?

I'll measure the muzzle jacket of my 88 when I get home to see if it is 20mm

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

THe OD of the barrel jacket at the muzzle is 17.3mm.

Was you measurement the inner or outer diameter of the ring?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    THe OD of the barrel jacket at the muzzle is 17.3mm.

Was you measurement the inner or outer diameter of the ring?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    A week later I get this bayonet. Will update all dimensions.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    What is this bayonet?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Yeah I'm off topic here but funny photo Phil. The guy on the right seems already to fire right over the head of the soldier being photographed. An early "Photo bomb" perhaps?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast