Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What bayonet for a Kar98a?

Article about: Hello To All, I have a ERFURT 1918 Kar98a and was wondering what would be the correct bayonet for this rifle. I have a 98/05 Butcher , a 98na quillon back and also a 84/98 sawback but they a

?

Default What bayonet for a Kar98a?

Hello To All,
    I have a ERFURT 1918 Kar98a and was wondering what would be the correct bayonet for this rifle.
    I have a 98/05 Butcher , a 98na quillon back and also a 84/98 sawback but they all are just too big for this rifle.
    I had heard that a crank handle is correct but would like to hear what your opinion's would be on this matter.
    Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Re: What bayonet for a Kar98a?

Phil

This weapon, as you correctly point out, can be fitted with all the standard German bayonets of the time. Because of the design they do look rather large and clumsy.

The Demag crank handle bayonet/trench knife will also fit however the Kar98a was introduced in 1908 which pre-dates the Demag design by a number of years.

The photo shows the the S98/05 fitted to the Kar98a
    [found here Mauser Gew 98 bayonet part... - CMP Forums]

As it stated on the linked page the introduction of the metal flash guard came about as the wooden grips were damaged by the effect of the muzzle flash when using this rifle/bayonet combination.

Regards

Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What bayonet for a Kar98a?  

I would say the 98/05 ( Butcher Bayonet)...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

As Richie B. states, any Imperial bayonet would be correct - as long as it has the flash guard on the back of the grip. The flash guard was a product of the fierce muzzle blast from the Kar98a's design of a muzzle that was too close to the end of the stock and the unguarded bayonets suffered damage to the wooden grips. Even a few Sg98 quill back bayonets are found with flash guards. The 98/05 was probably the most commonly issued bayonet with the Kar98a but, to me, the 84/98 has always been the most "proper looking" one to use and is often seen in period photos. Common ersatz bayonets would also be fine but the crank handle? It was not an issue piece of equipment so not so much.

?

Excellent photo Richie, Thank you for posting it. Now I can mount the 98/05 Butcher on the rifle and know it is correct!!!!!!
    Thanks to all the Gent's that replied. As mentioned above all this information is greatly appreciated!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Did you try the S84/98 bayonet

According to the 1914 T,O&Es a Machine Gun Detachment was issued 59 Kar98s along with 59 k.S.98s (short Seitengewehr 98). A Fussartillerie-Batterie was issued 146 K98s with S.98/05s. Other units were issued 84/98s along with their K.98s.

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    ... Common ersatz bayonets would also be fine but the crank handle? It was not an issue piece of equipment so not so much.
    Yes, the "crank handle" fits !
    Also the Armeedolch, made by Köller.

Christian Mery shows it in his book "German combat knives 1914-1945"

BTW, the "crank handle" was an issued piece of equipment !

Here´s an very nice image of a German trooper with Kar.98a (az) and, it seems, he´s carrying an "Aufpflanzbares Dolchmesser mit geschweiftem Griff", ("Grabendolch Modell 16"), aka: "crank handle".

I also wanna show you an intersting image of a "Grabendolch Modell 1916", mounted on a Gewehr 98.
    The soldier is Stoßtruppführer Ettighoffer.

What bayonet for a Kar98a?What bayonet for a Kar98a?
    Last edited by Reibert; 01-25-2014 at 11:35 AM.

For a 1918 made rifle, any bayo that fits is correct but really an ersatz pattern or trench knife type is the most likely-the whole point of these is that they're easier to make and more practical to use which by then was the most important thing rather than theoretical scales of issue.

?

I don't necessarily disagree with you lithgow, the ersatz bayonets were still in use by the late war period but by 1918 the standard, well made bayonets - especially the Sg84/98 and the Sg98/05 were being produced sufficiently to meet the needs of front line forces and had been since late 1916. Ersatz bayonets, an early to mid-war manufacturing expedient was out of production and being relegated to rear echelon forces and, to a large extent, Germany's ally, Turkey.

Scales of issue were not necessarily followed as you say.