Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Who has Yataghan bayonets?

Article about: Not much going on in the bayonet world here lately, so I thought I would try and get something started. I have several and thought I would start off with one of the most common of the yatagh

?

I am looking for one of the German reissues of the chassepot bayonets. I have a Commission 88 and a Baden landwehr Picklehaube and I want to replicate what is in this picture for my display.Who has Yataghan bayonets? which is a pic from L.I.R. 40.Ers.Btln.4.Komp.Alt-Breisach 27April 1915
    Semper Fi
    Phil

These Yatagahns always make my skin crawl, holding one and thinking of where it's been. Definitely Not ornamental, these things.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Steve, Looks like a nice 1842, hard to tell without better pictures of the handle and markings.

Jim

I collect Austro-Hungarian Yataghan bayonets Here are mine:

From left to right:
    Werndl 1867 for NCO
    Werndl 1867
    Werndl 1870
    Werndl 1870/73 shortened for NCO
    Werndl 1873

Best regards

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

?

Very nice group Peter!

Jim

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I am looking for one of the German reissues of the chassepot bayonets. I have a Commission 88 and a Baden landwehr Picklehaube and I want to replicate what is in this picture for my display.Who has Yataghan bayonets? which is a pic from L.I.R. 40.Ers.Btln.4.Komp.Alt-Breisach 27April 1915
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    I think I can show you exactly what you need Phil, but finding one may be tough and expensive. I'll post it later.

Jim

?

Here you go Phil, a French 1866 that has had the handle milled down so it will fit the commission 88 Mauser. These are very hard to find, which is why I have this one even though the condition is a little less than desirable. The captured chassepots that have just the frog stud mod and/or Landwehr or Landstrum regimental markings seem to be rather plentiful. I've posted pics of the conversion next to an unaltered 1866.

Good Luck,
    Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

?

Thank you Jim! Now I know what to look for when checking out Chassepot's for the 88. Was the muzzle ring modified at all on this conversion?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thank you Jim! Now I know what to look for when checking out Chassepot's for the 88. Was the muzzle ring modified at all on this conversion?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Not on this one, but will be found on some, along with a 3 step version.

Jim

?

1868 Terssen carbine bayonet. This one is dated 1869 and came with a French 1866 scabbard, which seems to be common. However this bayo originally would have had a leather scabbard with brass fittings. The 1868 Terssen bayo is a Belgian copy of the 1866 Chasepot and are nearly identical, except for small differences in the handle and markings showed in the pics below.

Jim

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast