Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Who has Yataghan bayonets?

Article about: Not much going on in the bayonet world here lately, so I thought I would try and get something started. I have several and thought I would start off with one of the most common of the yatagh

?

Surely there are some more Yats out there guys, lets see'em

My last one, a civil war1853/55 sharps carbine bayonet, unmarked except for the serial number 97 stamped into the handle. These civil war yats can be a real bear to ID. A lot of them are very similar and the only way to tell what they are is with exact measurements, attention to every little detail and the mortise slot style.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

?

Default my yataghan

Hello here is the only yataghan i have in my collection
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

Danish M/1867 (2nd pattern) bayonet for the Remington Rolling Block riffle, In Denmark designated riffle Model 1867.
    It differs from the 1st. pattern only in the use of an "internal" spring in the handle.

Made by Alex Coppel in Solingen, it carriers both makers mark, and Danish "proof stamps" on the blade.

The frog is the 1889 pattern.

?

Something like Egyptian Chassepot´...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

this style of bayonet looks very impressive on display and looks good on the wall since they look more like swords than a bayonet.

I have the French M1842 with matching numbers scabbard, the Turkish M1874 with original leather checkered grips, the blade is the thickest heaviest of the Yagaghan bayonets

also a rare Brazilian Modelo 1904 Police Yataghan with matching leather scabbard, this was the last of the Yataghan style bayonets made.

and the French Chassepot Model 1866

the Turk M1874 is my favorite sword bayo in my collection, made by the Providence Tool Company, Rhode Island, USA

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    this style of bayonet looks very impressive on display and looks good on the wall since they look more like swords than a bayonet.

I have the French M1842 with matching numbers scabbard, the Turkish M1874 with original leather checkered grips, the blade is the thickest heaviest of the Yagaghan bayonets

also a rare Brazilian Modelo 1904 Police Yataghan with matching leather scabbard, this was the last of the Yataghan style bayonets made.

and the French Chassepot Model 1866

the Turk M1874 is my favorite sword bayo in my collection, made by the Providence Tool Company, Rhode Island, USA
    Would love to see them!

Jim

Hello all,

Heres mine, its not in the best condition as it was found propped up in the corner of a garage and Im a bit reticent to clean it too much.
    Its not really something I would normally collect so I have never really looked into what exactly it is. It has quite a few stamps but they are hard to read other than those in the photo.

Cheers.Who has Yataghan bayonets?Who has Yataghan bayonets?Who has Yataghan bayonets?

that looks like a French M1842 , many were used during the US Civil War

?

Yep, an 1842/59, or what some call an 1842 modified. The 1842/59 has an internal coil spring on the release where the original 1842 had a leaf spring. Most of the markings are inspector marks. The markings on the spine of the blade will tell you where it was made, either Mutzig or Chattellerault. Thanks for sharing!

Jim

Hello Battle gear and Jim P,

Thanks for the replies, its nice to know exactly what it is at last. Unfortunately I cant see any markings on the spine of the blade, the steel scabbard seems to have rubbed them away! So the maker will have to remain a mystery. Great information.

Thanks again. Rich.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast