Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Who has Yataghan bayonets?

Article about: Not much going on in the bayonet world here lately, so I thought I would try and get something started. I have several and thought I would start off with one of the most common of the yatagh

I know its not technically a bayonet, but it is a Chassepot blade married up to a Briquet sword handle. No idea why it was created, looks to have been professionally done though. Possibly as some sort of emergency issue sword or possibly just a show of skill. Still, its quite interesting. Any ideas would be welcome. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

a few Yataghan bayonets

French M1842 with leaf spring handle w/ matching numbers dated 1855

Turk M1874 mfg by Providence Tool Co, Providence RI

Brazil M1904 Police with matching number leather scabbard with brass fittings

?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I know its not technically a bayonet, but it is a Chassepot blade married up to a Briquet sword handle. No idea why it was created, looks to have been professionally done though. Possibly as some sort of emergency issue sword or possibly just a show of skill. Still, its quite interesting. Any ideas would be welcome. Cheers.
    Well, it certainly is interesting! Definitely a chassepot blade mated to the handle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a conversion for an artillery sabre. While I have never seen another like it, the blade being French and the handle appearing to be of the French style for artillery sabres, I don't think it would be much of a stretch to think that is exactly what it is. I'll do some digging around and see if I can find some more info on it.

Jim

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    a few Yataghan bayonets

French M1842 with leaf spring handle w/ matching numbers dated 1855

Turk M1874 mfg by Providence Tool Co, Providence RI

Brazil M1904 Police with matching number leather scabbard with brass fittings

Love the 1st model 1842. The peabody is nice to have the scabbard, even with the damage. The scabbard didn't hold up well and is almost always missing. Does the Brazilian police have the F.P.D.P marking on both the bayonet and scabbard?

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Love the 1st model 1842. The peabody is nice to have the scabbard, even with the damage. The scabbard didn't hold up well and is almost always missing. Does the Brazilian police have the F.P.D.P marking on both the bayonet and scabbard?

Jim
    yes, it has those markings on both the top of the scabbard and the blade beneath the Brazilian marking that looks like this

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    yes, it has those markings on both the top of the scabbard and the blade beneath the Brazilian marking that looks like this

That's great, very rare to find one with the scabbard marked to the federal police!

Jim

"Well, it certainly is interesting! Definitely a chassepot blade mated to the handle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a conversion for an artillery sabre. While I have never seen another like it, the blade being French and the handle appearing to be of the French style for artillery sabres, I don't think it would be much of a stretch to think that is exactly what it is. I'll do some digging around and see if I can find some more info on it."

Cheers, if you do manage to find anything out please let me know. I have had this for a few years now and every attempt at research has drawn a blank.

?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    "

Cheers, if you do manage to find anything out please let me know. I have had this for a few years now and every attempt at research has drawn a blank.
    I was unable to find any mention of it in my modest library,probably because it is geared more towards bayonets and this would probably be classified as a sword. Also, drew mostly a blank on-line, save one which I will post a link here:
    French/Japanese Chassepot Type Sword Sidearm - Items for Sale - J & J Military Antiques

I would not be surprised if this was done late in the 1800's by France. They were constantly involved in conflicts all over the world during this time. But, I would think that there would be some mention of this being done, even if it was on a small scale. Then again, it may be noted somewhere, we just aren't looking in the right places. At least the one for sale at J&J is very similar and proves that there is at least more than one, even if the handles are slightly different.

Jim

Thats great. Its more than I have been able to find out so far so thanks for that. Like you say, at leas it proves it wasn't a one off. Now to find a purpose. The search continues. Cheers.

Default some better photos of my Yataghan sword bayonets

1. French M1842 dated 1855
    2. French Chassepot M1866 dated 1871
    3. Turk M1874 mfg by Providence Tool Co, Prov Rhode Island
    4. Brazil M1904 the last Yataghan style bayonet made
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who has Yataghan bayonets?   Who has Yataghan bayonets?  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast