Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

World war 1 bayonet? Help idenfy!

Article about: I bought this Bayonet for 25 bucks at an antique shop, It has no markings at all. The blades sharp end faces up when you hold the knife correctly, unlike a normal knife where it faces down.

?

Default World war 1 bayonet? Help idenfy!

I bought this Bayonet for 25 bucks at an antique shop, It has no markings at all. The blades sharp end faces up when you hold the knife correctly, unlike a normal knife where it faces down. I would like to know what kind of bayonet I own. It may just be a cheap Bayonet made in bulks.. The shop owner told me WW1 era but I'm not sure if he was just trying to make a sell..

So I am thankful for any information. Thanks! It's about 16 inches and a half long so yeah.

?

Default Re: World war 1 bayonet? Help idenfy!

It used to be an Italian 1891 for M- Kankaro rifle . My guess is that Austro-Hungarians captured and revoked it to fit theire rifles. Now it lost the crossgurd

Hi again Howard no need to post this up twice please.........https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...w1-era-140501/.......

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

A strange piece-the 'cutting edge up' is a typical A-H and post WW1 Czech bayo feature but it would be a lot of work to convert the Carcano bayo to that for no fighting benefit-may have been used as a trench knife as many captured or obsolete bayos were but then they're usually shortened to a handier blade length...

?

I already answered it , it looks like Belgian M1889 with 30cm blade and in opposite direction edge of blade, has nothing with Carcano or czechoslovak bayonets. it could be a export piece to some country in South America.

Cutting edge up is very typical of A-H and subsequent Czech bayos but not Belgian production.

?

The pommel and grips and screw is typical belgian M1889 for Burgerwacht, which have the 30cm blade, the owner should be made a tool for removing the grips and looking under, is possibility the blade was attached wrong. The rivets for crosspiece are correctly out of blade, so probably the crosspiece should be attached from pommel direction. Without participation of owner is no more to say.
    Last edited by AndyB; 02-04-2012 at 08:13 PM.

?

I saw on other forum a belgian M1916 piece with dissasembled grips, the blade could be attached in wrong way because is symetrical under grips and is held by rivets of crossguard and by nuts of grips.