Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 US bayonet?

Article about: I bought this last weekend at a bootsale. It seems to be US army ww1. The blade is 17'' long, any idea what weapon its for?

Default WW1 US bayonet?

I bought this last weekend at a bootsale. It seems to be US army ww1. The blade is 17'' long, any idea what weapon its for?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 US bayonet?   WW1 US bayonet?  

WW1 US bayonet?  

Default re: WW1 US bayonet?

It is for the P17 Enfield rifle used by the USA in WW1.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello-bayonet is identical to Enfield P14 .303 rifle bayonet except for 'bursting bomb' US acceptance stamps as US M1917 rifle is almost the same weapon, produced in the same factories after the US entered WW1 in 1917-the bayonets were sometimes used on US or British Enfields during WW2 Homeguard use in Britain as stocks were mixed in service.

Excellent info. Thank you both. I only paid £3 for it so I'm quite pleased. I can imagine it ending up as home guard use, or perhaps it came from the large US army base that was near to where I live. Its a lovely thing and has spurred me on to trying to find a few more bayos. Not easy though as sale is banned now I think in the UK.

More than likely an ex Home Guard example if you are from the UK. Nice to have another fellow Brit here

Bayonets are not banned from sale here. Just E bay etc prevents their sale.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes you are probably right Ade, ex home guard. There are at least 5 pill boxes still standing in the local area where I live and a training area for home guard on local sand dunes.

Default Re: WW1 US bayonet?

Winchester Model 1913/17.. This bayonet was made under british contract by Winchester and Remington, for the British Pattern 1914 rifle...After the entry of the US into the war all production was dirverted to the US, and many of the British markes were overstamped with US marks... The bayonet was also used with US Enfield model of 1917 Rifle and the Winchester Trench Shotgun.. In WW2 the bayonet was used with the Winchester, Stevens, Remington riot/trench shotguns.. It even saw service in Viet/Nam with US troups on new Trench shotguns... So possibly this was the longest service bayonet in US military history...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...