Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WWI Austrian?

Article about: Hello all, new guy here. I was scouring the web for some information on my grandfather's war knife and you all seemed very knowledgeable so I thought I'd seek out your opinions. My grandmoth

?

Default Re: WWI Austrian?

Just to "put another fly in the ointment", this knife reminds me of one of my late fathers "Victorinox" butchering knives. Very similar in shape and style to them. (I'll get a photo posted as soon as I can so they can be compaired)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    It does look like a shortened kitchen knife................
    I agree !

The scabbard is an "ordinary" one, as I wrote above.

Rgds.,

R.

Reibert, why do you think it's an ordinary scabbard?-its much shorter than the standard bayo model, has the rivet holes for the integral frog (and no metal frog stud as per the standard /model) and the end of the scabbard lacks the ball finial. Any look at a book or website on German bayos will show that type as the short ersatz type for the various M1915/18 ersatz bayos.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Reibert, why do you think it's an ordinary scabbard?-its much shorter than the standard bayo model, has the rivet holes for the integral frog (and no metal frog stud as per the standard /model) and the end of the scabbard lacks the ball finial. Any look at a book or website on German bayos will show that type as the short ersatz type for the various M1915/18 ersatz bayos.
    Counterquestion:
    Why do you think, this is a bayonet scabbard ?

I do own some German WWI trench-knive´s and all of them measures the lenght of WildBillyT´s scabbard !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	158639

WildBillyT
    ?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Just to "put another fly in the ointment", this knife reminds me of one of my late fathers "Victorinox" butchering knives. Very similar in shape and style to them. (I'll get a photo posted as soon as I can so they can be compaired)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Ian:

At first glance (when I got the knife) I took one look at it and figured it to be a regular kitchen de-boning knife. I figured the scabbard might be something interesting.

The various short ersatz bayos use that pattern scabbard but are defined by the most basic bayonet feature-they fit on the end of a rifle i.e. they are slotted and have a catch mechanism built into the handle-the most famous example being the' crank handle' model-if the weapon is a pure trench knife and can't be fitted onto a rifle it doesn't alter the fact that the scabbards are primarily intended for the short ersatz bayonets produced only during the First World War.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	158663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	158664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	158665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	158666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	158667
    The various short ersatz bayos use that pattern scabbard but are defined by the most basic bayonet feature-they fit on the end of a rifle i.e. they are slotted and have a catch mechanism built into the handle-the most famous example being the' crank handle' model-if the weapon is a pure trench knife and can't be fitted onto a rifle it doesn't alter the fact that the scabbards are primarily intended for the short ersatz bayonets produced only during the First World War.
    Hi !

The scabbard of the DEMAG "crank-handle" is the very same, as shown here in this thread by WildBillyT !

They measures the same lenght !

So WildBillyT-are you now saying the knife is not definitely a WW1 relic and only the scabbard is?

WildBillyT
    ?

So WildBillyT-are you now saying the knife is not definitely a WW1 relic and only the scabbard is?
    I cannot say 100% that that is the case, however based on some light research and what you guys are saying, I believe it's not a standard issue military knife from that era; it's a household knife in a military scabbard. The knife could be from that time period, however it's not a combat style. Does that make sense?

Quote by WildBillyT View Post
    I cannot say 100% that that is the case, however based on some light research and what you guys are saying, I believe it's not a standard issue military knife from that era; it's a household knife in a military scabbard. The knife could be from that time period, however it's not a combat style. Does that make sense?
    It makes perfect sense, and I believe this is what we are looking at;
    A kitchen knife made into a fighting/utility knife
    with a military scabbard.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast