Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

WWII German Combination Tool Trench Knife variants

Article about: Greetings all, Here are several examples of WWII German made tool knives or combination fighting knives. Puma and at least one other company (trade mark “S”) made these variants. The handles

Default Puma made PATRONENHEBER MG 34 variant.

Greetings all,

First, I’d like to thank forum member “Antiquebill” for allowing me to purchase the next variation shown on this thread. Here is his original post How rare is a Puma Boot Knife marked Patronenheber MG 34? As fellow collector and forum member “Reibert” discussed earlier in post #7 this (below) variation is the PATRONENHEBER MG 34 “Cartridge Lifter” marked Puma made variant. As you can see, it has a specific tool for pulling stuck 7.92mm cartridges from an MG 34’s barrel. It is not a ruptured cartridge removal tool (one type of ruptured cartridge removal tool is actually pictured acting as the extracted cartridge in the second picture below). These knives were not issued kit with the MG 34, but were private purchase affairs. Fun fact: the tool works just as well on MG 42’s barrels as well (I’ve checked).

This is the only one of these particular variants I have ever viewed; as such, variant-wise it would appear they were not that popular. Perhaps, as one loses the standard screw driver’s bit with this tool’s addition/selection most customers thought a screw driver was of more use. If you were not assigned to an MG 34/42's crew, that is most assuredly the case.

Double click on images to enlarge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	986463

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	986464
    Below as compared with the other “Puma made” variant shown in post #4 (PATRONENHEBER MG 34 variant is the top knife).

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	986465
    And finally, all of variants together (PATRONENHEBER MG 34 variant is now the bottom knife)

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	986473
    Last edited by militariaone; 08-10-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123