Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher

Article about: Just in is this Christmas present to myself: The 1957er Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher [Badge for Blockade Runners]. Instituted on 1 April 1941, the Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher was created

Default 1957er Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher

Just in is this Christmas present to myself: The 1957er Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher [Badge for Blockade Runners].

Instituted on 1 April 1941, the Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher was created "in recognition of the determined conduct of the crews of sea-going ships who found themselves in neutral foreign countries, overseas and on the oceans upon the outbreak of war and who returned to the homeland after breaking the enemy blockade".

The badge could be awarded to the crews of military blockade runners as well those of civilian commercial vessels. The Reichskommissar für die Seeschiffahrt [National Commissioner for Maritime Navigation] was in charge of awards to the crews of civilian ships, while the Oberbefehlshaber der Kriegsmarine [Supreme Commander of the Navy], acting in consent with the Reichskommissar, was in charge of awards to crews of ships under military control.

Criteria for the award were a successful breakthrough of the sea blockade, scuttling of the ship to avoid its impending capture by enemy forces and certain cases involving particular initiative which led to a ship and its cargo either being preserved or destroyed in the interest of the people and the economy. Survivors of ships sunk by the enemy were also eligible for the badge as were wounded men under special circumstances.

Originally designed by the artist Otto Placzek of Berlin, the badge depicts a civilian ship with the national eagle at its bow, plowing through the waves and breaking a chain that forms the border of the badge and symbolizes the blockade. The 57er version eliminates the Swastika originally held in the eagle's clutches.

Here it is now:

As always, all comments are welcome.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 12-23-2017 at 03:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Abzeichen für Blockadebrecher
    P
    Many

?

Nicely presented HPL, thank you for the detailed background.

One of the very few TR designed badges that still looks good as a 57er without the swastika imo , Very nice ! ,kindest regards ,Paul

MAP
    ?

That's a beauty Andreas. Nice high quality.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I found myself a nice miniature stickpin of this badge as well.

Obverse and reverse view:

An additional scale reference shot to illustrate its tiny size. The mini measures 9 mm in diameter: