Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen "100"

Article about: Here is the latest addition to my collection, a 1957-model Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen [Genaral Assault Badge] in the higher grade for 100 engagements. The Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen was inst

Default 1957er Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen "100"

Here is the latest addition to my collection, a 1957-model Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen [Genaral Assault Badge] in the higher grade for 100 engagements.

The Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen was instituted by an order of 1 June 1940. It was awarded to soldiers of all branches that were not eligible for the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen [Infantry Assault Badge] or the Panzerkampfabzeichen [Tank Combat Badge], but who would otherwise meet the criteria for the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen, regardless of whether they fought together with infantry or armor or independently. Typical recipients of this badge were assault gun crewmen and combat engineers. The basic badge was awarded for participation in three assaults on three different days, with four higher grades - for 25, 50, 75 and 100 days of action - instituted on 1 July 1943.

On the original wartime version of the badge, the eagle held a Swastika in its clutches. For the 1957 version, the Swastika was eliminated from the design and the eagle was enlarged so that it now rested directly on the crossed bayonet and hand grenade. The broader wreaths of the "75"- and "100" grades were gold on the wartime versions, whereas the manufacturing regulations for the 1957er version specified silver.

Obverse and reverse view. The badge shows its age with wear and patina:

Additional reverse view showing the hardware:

With the basic-level badge:

As always, all comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen "100"
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Beautiful award and surely a rare example, more striking then the basic award.
    I'm sure these will only become more collectable in the future.
    Thanks for sharing

A beautiful award Andreas, congrats!
    Probably not very easy to find.
    I see that the use of rivets to attach the eagle insert was discontinued, how are these fastened?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Andreas! Wonderful award! Quality on this is still excellent!

Always wondered how the vets acquired these? Where the issued? Or private purchase? If private purchase...would be tempting to "up the level" if you know what I mean...LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I see that the use of rivets to attach the eagle insert was discontinued, how are these fastened?
    As far as I know, these pieces are glued.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Always wondered how the vets acquired these? Where the issued? Or private purchase? If private purchase...would be tempting to "up the level" if you know what I mean...LoL
    They were not re-issued. Veterans had to buy these replacement awards on their own initiative and from their own pocket. Many never bothered to do so, in fact.

Federal law precisely regulated which Third Reich-era decorations were re-authorized for wear in de-nazified form and which ones remained banned, and there were also offical design- and manufacturing regulations for these new versions*, but otherwise, the government was not involved in the procurement and distribution of the 1957er decorations.

Unsurprisingly, cases of "self-awarded" decorations up to and including some fake Ritterkreuzträger are not unknown. Some retailers sold the decorations only to those who could prove they were actual award holders or licensed collectors, but this was and is only required by law for decorations awarded after 8 May 1945, not for the 1957ers, which were merely replacements for decorations awarded up to that date. Thus, they could always be legally sold and bought by anybody.

(Of course, unauthorized wear was still an offence and punishable by a fine of up to 10,000 Marks.)

*) For those interested in them, they may be found here (German language):

http://ordensmuseum.de/Ordensjournal...6Jan0857er.pdf
    http://ordensmuseum.de/Ordensjournal...Hersteller.pdf

Is this a mid 1960 S&L piece?

Where there other manufactures of the 1957 version of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen "100"?

/Jonas

Quote by spunkmaja View Post
    Is this a mid 1960 S&L piece?
    Unless I am very much mistaken, yes.

Quote by spunkmaja View Post
    Where there other manufactures of the 1957 version of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen "100"?
    I know that Deumer definitely made the basic badge, but don't know if they also offered the higher grades as well.

An outstanding example Andreas! I am not surprised people "self awarded" in the lack of oversight by the government or military.
    Thanks for sharing this piece and for your well composed description!

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Unless I am very much mistaken, yes.

I know that Deumer definitely made the basic badge, but don't know if they also offered the higher grades as well.

Thanks Andreas

/Jonas