MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Flak-Kampfabzeichen

Article about: The latest addition to my family of Luftwaffe badges, here is a 1957er Kampfabzeichen der Flakartillerie [Combat Badge of the Flak Artillery] or Flak-Kampfabzeichen [Flak Combat Badge]. Inst

Default 1957er Flak-Kampfabzeichen

The latest addition to my family of Luftwaffe badges, here is a 1957er Kampfabzeichen der Flakartillerie [Combat Badge of the Flak Artillery] or Flak-Kampfabzeichen [Flak Combat Badge]. (This is the Luftwaffe Flak badge, whereas the army Flak badge was designated as Heeres-Flak-Abzeichen.)

Instituted on 10 January 1941 and designed by the artist Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus (whose original design was obviously changed for the 57er version by eliminating the Swastika clutched by the Luftwaffe eagle on top), the badge was initially awarded for successes against aerial- as well as ground-based targets. Following the institution of the Luftwaffe's Erdkampfabzeichen [Ground Combat Badge] on 31 March 1942, the badge was exclusively awarded for successes in combating enemy aircraft.

The badge could be awarded to active Luftwaffe soldiers of the Flak branch as well as Hitler Youth auxiliaries and Flakwehr personnel. In order to qualify for the badge, a total of 16 "points" had to be reached for which certain criteria were set. (For example, participation in the destruction of an enemy plane was worth 2 points; if the victory was credited to a single battery or platoon, all of its members earned 4 points. Members of the first searchlight crew to catch an individual enemy aircraft in a searchlight beam were credited 1 point.)
    The badge could also be awarded for exceptional individual performance in combat and for leadership achievements by officers in duty positions of detachment commander or above.

Here is the badge now. It's a very early piece made by Steinhauer & Lück and shows heavy patina and wear:

As always, all comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Flak-Kampfabzeichen
    P
    Many

?

Very nice. The patina shows that the recipient must of worn that with pride. They may have removed the Swastika but the pride is Something you can not take away!

Thank you for giving the criteria for receiving that award. I do not study these but I love to learn and it is something this great site allows me to do on almost a daily basis.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

That is an amazing Flak-Kampfabzeichen. I love the worn look on the abzeichen. A great addition.

Regards, Rik

Very nice and early first type eagle.

GCA Forum | Access denied.

For additional illustration, here is a comparison showing the difference between the Luftwaffe- and Heer Flak badges:

(The army badge is featured on this new thread: 1957er Heeres-Flak-Abzeichen )