Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer

Article about: Despite a resolution to cut down on my collecting expenditures for a while, I just couldn't resist adding these lovely pieces to my collection: The 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer [B

Default 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer

Despite a resolution to cut down on my collecting expenditures for a while, I just couldn't resist adding these lovely pieces to my collection: The 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer [War Badge for Auxiliary Cruisers], both as a full-size badge and in stickpin miniature form (acquired from two different auctions).

Instituted on 24 April 1941, the Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer was created "in recognition of the feats of the German auxiliary cruisers, which had undertaken outstanding wartime feats against England on all oceans far from home and who had inflicted on the enemy severe losses of tonnage on their daring cruises".

In order to qualify for the badge, a crewmember of an auxiliary cruiser had to have proven himself during at least one successful mission against the enemy. Posthumous awards of the badge were authorized.

Like the Schnellboot-Kriegsabzeichen, the badge was originally designed by the artist Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus of Berlin. The 57er version eliminates the eagle-and-Swastika originally found on top of the wreath. (Personally, I think the 1957er version looks better for it, with more harmonic proportions.)

Here they are now. The full-size badge is an early piece of very nice quality. Obverse and reverse views and additional reverse view to show the pin- and hinge assembly:

The stickpin miniatures are, respectively, 15 and 8 millimetres tall. Obverse and reverse view and an additional scale reference shot:

A familiy picture of our happy little Viking fleet:

As always, all comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

A lovely Addition , maybe collecting 57's pattern would be the thing to do if those new laws pass.

Also I liked seeing Canada represented in your size comparison, great idea.

Quote by CBH View Post
    Also I liked seeing Canada represented in your size comparison, great idea.
    Thanks. Actually, I own that Canadian cent quite by chance, having picked it up from the floor of the railway station hall in Heidelberg during an (otherwise) useless business trip in 2012.

great badge/s HPL.

Another rare bugger and an early/mid one at that, a great addition Andreas! They are addictive, aren't they?

Regards,
    Nick

Very nice indeed.

/Jonas