Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"2008" EK1 (Yes, I know it's a fantasy piece)

Article about: Here's an item I bought as a curiousity, knowing full well that it is a fantasy piece and of no signficant value whatsoever: A 2008 EK1! These crosses (always the 1st class of the award) oft

Default "2008" EK1 (Yes, I know it's a fantasy piece)

Here's an item I bought as a curiousity, knowing full well that it is a fantasy piece and of no real value whatsoever: A 2008 EK1!

These crosses (always the 1st class of the award) often show up on online auctions and dealer sites, usually with the claim that they were protoype specimens commissioned when the petition to re-introduce the Iron Cross was on the table or even that these are unofficial awards for veterans.

Said petition took place in 2007 and was (predictably) unsuccessful, although in 2008, the Bundeswehr's new Ehrenkreuz für Tapferkeit was instituted.

Apparently - and quite amusingly - these so-called "2008 Iron Crosses" were based on a design made by the satirical magazine Titanic* in reaction to that new decoration for bravery.

In any case, it is safe to say that no prototype 2008 EKs were ever ordered by the Federal Government and that these crosses are pure fantasy pieces and should be treated as such. (I bought mine for some 20 Euros including postage, which I found acceptable, but some sellers offer these alleged "rare prototype pieces" for greatly inflated prices.)

*) see: http://www.titanic-magazin.de/filead...stkreuz-pk.jpg

Right, here it is. The cross is of simple, one-piece construction and unimpressive quality.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

Obverse detail showing the Federal Eagle and the year "2008". Note the poor paint job:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "2008" EK1 (Yes, I know it's a fantasy piece)
    P
    Many

---and look at that big ugly pin and catch.
    This is what a proper backside should look like
    Attached Images Attached Images "2008" EK1 (Yes, I know it's a fantasy piece) 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

But it makes such a nice design. Pity it could not be real...
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here's a different type of post-war fantasy Iron Cross which I recently purchased off eBay just for fun.

This, too, is a one-piece cross, but rather more neatly made than the other one. Interestingly, the reverse has the inscription "Als Dank und Anerkennung für geleistete Dienste" ["As a thanks for and in recognition of services rendered"]:

I bought one similar to your first example, but it looked to have been slightly better made. It's a pity they never made them as real awards"2008" EK1 (Yes, I know it's a fantasy piece)"2008" EK1 (Yes, I know it's a fantasy piece) It looks like there is more than one manufacturer of these things. Maybe we could see how many varients we can find and list them all here for reference purposes?

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    I bought one similar to your first example, but it looked to have been slightly better made. It's a pity they never made them as real awards
    Actually, I'm glad that there never was the need for an Iron Cross after 1945...

We should not forget that ever since it was originally created in 1813, the Iron Cross has only ever been in existence at times when Germany was fully at war with the fate of the nation at stake, namely the periods of 1813-15, 1870-71, 1914-18 and 1939-45.

(No Iron Crosses had been awarded for Germany's other armed conflicts during the period from 1813-1945 like the war against Denmark in 1864, the Prussian-Austrian war of 1866, the Imperial colonial-era military operations in China or Africa, the battles of the Freikorps years in Germany, Silesia and the Baltic or the Legion Condor's involvement in Spain.)

Those who unsuccessfully petitioned to have the Iron Cross reinstated back in 2007 seemed to be ignorant of (or completely indifferent to) this fact, failing to realize that re-instituting the Iron Cross for operations such as the Afghanistan mission would not have been a proper continuation of this decoration's long tradition but would have actually meant breaking this tradition.

(I don't want to downplay the hardships and dangers faced by the soldiers deployed to Afghanistan in any way at all, but it is just not a conflct of the nature and scale of the ones that saw the institution and re-institution of the Iron Cross.)

Germany should not try to forget or be ashamed of its past military traditions. As you quite rightly say, you don't want downplay the hardships and dangers faced by the soldiers in Afghanistan. The Iron Cross in my opinion should still be reserved for such times when it might once again be needed (hopefully never). Could you imagine if the British tried to drop the Victoria Cross for political reasons, there would be an out cry, and quite rightly so. I can think of no other country that would start again from scratch with the awarding of it's medals and decorations. It seems that post war Germany would almost like to forget the bravery shown by it's service personnel on the battle fields, in the skies and at sea.

Interesting pieces, but if they were to bring it back, this 'newer design'
    is not up to snuff, IMO. The sprig of three oak leaves is much
    more appealing and ties into the style and tradition of
    earlier designs.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Here's another addition to the family; a "1999" EK embroidered on Flecktarn cloth:

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    But it makes such a nice design. Pity it could not be real...
    All the same a certain type of biker (I'm a biker but I don't wear a fibreglass M35 helmet!!) wil go into raptures over this

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast