Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

57 Ritterkreuz !!

Article about: Attached are some photos of a 57 pattern Ritterkreuz that i assume is made by Steinhauer and Luck as a copy of there micro 800 RK ?

?

Default 57 Ritterkreuz !!

Attached are some photos of a 57 pattern Ritterkreuz that i assume is made by Steinhauer and Luck as a copy of there micro 800 RK ?

57 Ritterkreuz !!57 Ritterkreuz !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 57 Ritterkreuz !!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 57 Ritterkreuz !!

57 Ritterkreuz !!57 Ritterkreuz !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

57 Ritterkreuz !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57 Ritterkreuz !!  

1st July 1916

?

I'm sure Steve will be able to offer more in the way of details Paul but this one looks like the typical modern produced RK that S&L churn out for the collectors market currently. The materials, the finish and the general lack of quality are not of the same calibre as earlier S&L made crosses. I've never come across one with a makers mark before.
    Is it a purchase or a potential purchase?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

It's a purchase Adrian I do own an original attributed S and L micro 800 so i bought it some time ago just due to the micro 800 ! !!

1st July 1916

Paul...indeed a late production St u L RK, made in the early 1980's, they apparently stopped production around 1986...however it is today still offered in their price lists ! A totaly frosted finish with non magnetic core, the core being painted after assembly (you can see the paint bleeding into the frame at some points) still three piece construction...and nicely soldered together, it is exactly the same as mine, complete with the micro 800 mark. St u L offered both solid silver frames marked 800 and non marked plated frames during the life of its production.....thats why ours are marked, they will have silver frames....IMO still a good example of a 57er RK, despite being of late production, oh, and not a copy, it is made to conform to the 1957 regulations as laid down by the German Federal Government, so that veterans could wear the award, as anything bearing the swastika was banned in public....so it is an "original" sanitised version of a wartime RK, despite what detractors have to say ! These 57er were never awarded, but where available for purchase by anyone....although proof of entitlement was needed for the wearing of these awards. Paul a nice RK. Prices are climbing, an early RK is around a $1000+...mid production $700+ and late, like ours around $300+
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57 Ritterkreuz !!  

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I've never come across one with a makers mark before.
    Quote by oradour View Post
    thats why ours are marked, they will have silver frames....
    In that case I have come across a marked one before! I didn't realise - or more than likely forgot - yours was marked Steve!

?

Thanks very much Steve , very interesting info. With 57 pattern crosses was it only St & L that made them ? I know that they had some of the original dyes which have brought about the A type , B type original discussion , luckily no such problems wioth my original as it is the 800 micro

cheers

Paul

1st July 1916

?

Is there any story behind the change in core types too? There is the earlier 'A' type with the concave oakleaves and there is the 'B' type as above with the convex oaks. I've never known the reason behind the two variants.

Gents, There is much debate and discussion re/frames, time lines etc, my simple understanding is thus :- Frame sequence for 57 crosses:- 1) "B" frame without additional beading flaws, (for first year only). 2) "B" frame with additional beading flaws. 3) So-called "C" frame. 4) What some collectors call "D" frame (late type crosses). I believe the C-type die is a repaired B-type die, which is itself a repaired A-type die. One die for all the StuL's, until the advent of the "D" frame. As far as the cores, one can only suppose.....adopting modern manufacturing methods..cheaper to make, I have been told that these non magnetic cores are painted after being put together, because heat during the soldering up of the frames would cause damage to the paint as it conducted through the new non ferrous metal used in these cores ! "A "type cores, magnetic and concaved, were in "B "and "C" frames. "B" type cores, magnetic and convexed, were in "C" frames ,with non magnetic "B" type cores being used in the so-called "D" frame. Hope this is clear enough as this is a quick simple post on what is a complex subject.....This information is IMO.
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast