Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

57er knights cross

Article about: very nice adrian thanks for the help everyone saved me a lot tom

Default 57er knights cross

hi lads

any ideas if this is an original or a fake
    57er knights cross57er knights cross57er knights cross57er knights cross57er knights cross57er knights cross57er knights cross57er knights cross

cheers
    tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 57er knights cross
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 57er knights cross

I bet it's not made from '800' silver! It looks very much like a modern made cross with alloy frame and poor paint job on the core which has also ended up on the beading. The frame halves don't join properly as you can tell from the gaps around the seam. Ok for display but won't hold up under a detailed examination and certainly not of the quality of earlier made pieces.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Sorry Tom, but this is not an original piece. As Adrian says above, the paint job is not good (looks like it was done by the same guys who messed up our bathroom!). The seam isn't right either.

Regards,

Carl

thanks lads think ill pass on this one

tom

Tom....this is not a good example, it could be a TR fake reopened and a 57er core inserted, this method is now being employed with fake German Crosses. Although theoreticaly no 57' EK can be a fake, if the regulations governing their manufacture are followed, as laid down in the original order, then good "ole uncle Bob" in his tool shed in Iowa can bang them out, but joking aside, we all know that replicas/fakes/copies ARE being made to fulfil demand (something that the regs/orders never took into consideration !)....Steinhauer und Luck were the last German firm to make a range of official style "replacement" 1957er awards, they still today offer a price list on request,(now for the collector market, as I guess most vets must have replacements by now !) a fellow collector has one, I shall ask his permission to post....but as Adrian has stated their quality is not as good as the early made pieces, I have a Steinhauer und Luck 1980/1990's made KC with oakleaves and swords, although it has a frosted/blasted appearence it is well made, seams correctly filled, sadly with a non magnetic core that has been painted after assembly (why they do this is beyond me !)....but IMO finished off rather nice, I have already shown this cross on another thread, but will show it here for reference.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er knights cross   57er knights cross  

57er knights cross   57er knights cross  

thanks for the info steve yours definatly looks nicer

tom

Thanks for that Tom...I have added the last photograph to show how well the seams are, and should be, finished/soldered on even a late made KC from messers Steinhauer und Luck. They are ALWAYS three piece, but not always "Silver" as they (St u L) offer on their price lists Silver frames, always marked 800 (to comply with German law) or Silver plated frames, unmarked Crosses, a KC to suit every budget it would seem ! I think St u L have had this option for some decades, as I have examined genuine St u L 57er KC's with no markings from the late 1960's/early 1970's. Prost ! Steve.

I am not into 57 awards but I must say Steve that looks mighty nice. I love the way you have it displayed.

Phil

?

Here's an earlier made piece for reference, most likely from the '60's, at least since the 'B' type core was used because the oak leaf spray is convex, not concave as the first or 'A' type core was.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er knights cross   57er knights cross  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Steve, Adrian

Superb crosses guys

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast