Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

BGS Thread

Article about: hi guys i don't know if this is a good idea or not but i think we should make a thread devoted to the BGS. post stuff like uniform,headwear,photos,equiptment and anything else so that we can

?

Default Re: BGS Thread

Awesome thread ! Keep it going ...

Kind regards
    Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BGS Thread
    P
    Many

Tom.....this is a very difficult item to come by ! It is a standard issue Sumpftarn cap that accompanied the first general issue uniform in 1958-1963. There are many fake hats out there, but very few originals. The easiest way to tell, is the originals have two buttons, the "bullseye" badge (missing on yours), and soft cloth interior. Anything that looks waxy on the inside is a fake, none of the copies have "ink stamped" markings inside, just a white maker label and/or size tag only.
    Prost ! Steve.

i think this ones a bit of both then lol unless its later than 63 as it doesn't have any markings, no buttons or bullseye (but you can see where they may have been on there before)......... but it doesn't feal waxy odd

Tom, here is a video you may like ! ..... Bundesgrenzschutz Alter Werbefilm des BGS Teil 1 - YouTube The Sumpftarn cap was commercially available for some time from the late 1960's upto the 1980's made and laballed by the firm "STURM", not issued, but available as private purchase....these are also termed as reproduction, which is unfair in my eyes, as they were actually used by BGS troops, see here, a photo taken in 1968.....perhaps yours is one of these, as the early BGS issued examples always had two buttons...a badge...and were ink stamped, the "STURM" made caps had no buttons, badge and had a white label marked with the "STURM" make and size.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS Thread  

Tom..here is an early example...for comparison, it is missing its badge, it was made in March 1959 (III 59).
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

I know this is off-topic, but it might just be of interest. Here is a very similiar field cap from the same manufacturer, but made in blueish-grey cloth for use by German civil defense. (The forehead part appears to be a little lower and the visor doesn't have the parallel rows of stitching.)

I was given this ancient cover in 1990 while serving with the German Red Cross and wore it for a short time until I got myself a sidecap. The enamelled metal badge was my unofficial addtion; it was actually for use on the service cap.

(I normally wear a size 58 or 59, but this size 57 somehow fit, albeit a bit tightly.)

BGS Thread
    BGS Thread
    BGS Thread

Saw som Bamberger fifties and sixties oversea caps with the bulls eye in front for 5 and 10 € at a shop down town, any intrest?
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Here's me in the long BGS garb in the Big dessert 20 yrs back
    Last edited by reneblacky; 10-31-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: ammended text

Gents... Bamburger is the maker of a huge variety of hats, from peaked, berets, through to side caps for all sorts of organisations, it is known that they existed pre WW2 and throughout the Second world war, albeit using upto four maker names, all using the four spires logo ! here they are today ! Bamberger Mützen-Industrie- und Verwaltungs GmbH & Co. KG
    Berretti Bamberg
    Kleberstr. 26
    96047 Bamberg
    Telefon:
    0951 98134-0
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Tom, here is a video you may like ! ..... Bundesgrenzschutz Alter Werbefilm des BGS Teil 1 - YouTube The Sumpftarn cap was commercially available for some time from the late 1960's upto the 1980's made and laballed by the firm "STURM", not issued, but available as private purchase....these are also termed as reproduction, which is unfair in my eyes, as they were actually used by BGS troops, see here, a photo taken in 1968.....perhaps yours is one of these, as the early BGS issued examples always had two buttons...a badge...and were ink stamped, the "STURM" made caps had no buttons, badge and had a white label marked with the "STURM" make and size.
    Prost ! Steve.
    good info steve i enjoyed the film i think mine is a "sturm" cap as i can definatly see where a white label was......

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast