Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

BGS Thread

Article about: hi guys i don't know if this is a good idea or not but i think we should make a thread devoted to the BGS. post stuff like uniform,headwear,photos,equiptment and anything else so that we can

Good morning gents,

I too am very interested to know about the different colours of M53 I have seen including some that are totally unissued and come direct from government surplus.

Can anyone please advise concerning the colours and texture finshes?

I have long had an interest in the BGS and have picked up one or two small items over the years but now I feel the symptoms of the BGS "bug" and will be posting in this thread shortly but for now I really need to know about the helmet colours and I just can't find an answer even trawling through the many pages of this great thread!

Please help, it's driving me nuts!!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BGS Thread
    P
    Many

All I can add is- I had a Baden-Wurttemberg decaled police helmet green in colour many years back similar in colour to the last helmet in Oldsteel's pics

Well, I bagan with just a few badges I had picked up during my own service in Germany but it seems a latent interest has been awakened by this thread and I have begun to add pieces of BGS kit as I find them and it now looks like I am heading towards a "mannequin" project.

Here is one of my first "must have" pieces;

I did post it in another thread but it seems to have gone un-noticed which I think is a shame as it is a belter.

So, I have been after one of these for a while making several active attempts that all failed for one reason or another. I was gutted to miss one that went for only 87€ with provenance from the former user who was an ATO (bomb disposal) officer in GSG9 all because of a computer glitch!!

Anyway, as is true in most things and especially in this hobby "everything comes to he who waits" and I was stunned to track this one down for a very reasonable price especially when I discovered that by coincidence the seller was in the same line of work as me!!

It is in 100% mint condition and actually has a stores tag (I think the tag is probably the product of a stores system upgrade much later than the helmets manufacture date judging by the style of printing etc).

The inside of the shell is smooth Polizei Gruen (RAL 6004 I reckon) and the outside is a rough textured finish in a slightly lighter shade of the same colour.

I can't see any markings on the shell without removing the liner but the liner is date stamped under the headband (Okt 75) and size stamped 57 on the face of the liner.

I think this was worth missing out on the others for about the same price. What do members think?

Regards

GSG9 para helmet;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-16-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Here is another item that was always a source of intrigue to me and is one more building block in the developing "project";

BGS Tarnjacke,

This one is in extremely good condition and has not suffered any of the usual "decommissioning" damage and I was delighted to capture it for a little over 100€

BGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS Thread

More items follow soon but I really do need to find a 9cm "Bundesgrenzschutz" rocker / schriftbogen / title to go with the eagle on another jacket. For anyone who doesn't know the type for the camouflage jacket is the same construction as the type for the shirt but is only 9cm wide as opposed to 12cm on the shirt.
    If anybody has a spare please pm me.

Regards

Mark

Very nice GSG9 helm i was lucky enough to bag one a while back and its one of those helmet's that i would never let go from my collection for love nor money ,yours looks to be dated 1975 ,i unbolted mine down to its composite parts and found it an easy task ,Great looking bgs net to accompany yours too ,nice sumpftarn jacket ,your's look's to be the 3rd pattern which was devoid of a hood but i added one to my 3rd pat ,your mannequin idea sounds great and id like to see the results ,here is my still incomplete bgs torso display BGS Thread

Thanks James,

Isn't it funny how "I just want a helmet" can escalate ?

I am already much further on than I expected to be by now but I am finding one or two items somewhat elusive.

Proper BGS boots is an example. I believe they are basically the same as the BW items of the period but without steel tips and with a more pointed toe. I am sure there ought to be plenty out there but I can't seem to find them.

Ammo pouches and belt are also quite hard to find. I have sourced the correct belt buckle but not the belt. However, I know a very good belt maker who will easily copy the leather part if I can find a clear enough photo reference, any ideas anyone?

I am a little unsure over the shirt. Is it the period police grey/blue type and should it be worn with a tie?

Any help with reference sources would be very much appreciated.

Watch this space

Regards

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Thanks James,

Isn't it funny how "I just want a helmet" can escalate ?

I am already much further on than I expected to be by now but I am finding one or two items somewhat elusive.

Proper BGS boots is an example. I believe they are basically the same as the BW items of the period but without steel tips and with a more pointed toe. I am sure there ought to be plenty out there but I can't seem to find them.

Ammo pouches and belt are also quite hard to find. I have sourced the correct belt buckle but not the belt. However, I know a very good belt maker who will easily copy the leather part if I can find a clear enough photo reference, any ideas anyone?

I am a little unsure over the shirt. Is it the period police grey/blue type and should it be worn with a tie?

Any help with reference sources would be very much appreciated.

Watch this space

Regards

Mark
    "Isn't it funny how "I just want a helmet" can escalate ?" -----don't I know it!!! re DDR

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    "Isn't it funny how "I just want a helmet" can escalate ?" -----don't I know it!!! re DDR
    Yep, I have a touch of that particular disorder too

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Good morning gents,

I too am very interested to know about the different colours of M53 I have seen including some that are totally unissued and come direct from government surplus.

Can anyone please advise concerning the colours and texture finshes?

I have long had an interest in the BGS and have picked up one or two small items over the years but now I feel the symptoms of the BGS "bug" and will be posting in this thread shortly but for now I really need to know about the helmet colours and I just can't find an answer even trawling through the many pages of this great thread!

Please help, it's driving me nuts!!

Mark
    Well, further to the above. My latest info which I admit is anecdotal (from a German police source) is that the light grey M53 helmet was a W.Berlin police item used by those "light infantry" type units that organised as part of W.Berlin Police rather than BGS for political reasons as the "Allies" were the protecting powers under the Quadripartite agreement which meant in reality that civil police was OK but border guards would be a No No

I served in Berlin and worked quite closely at times with such units who did have MGs and "little tanks" but by that time (late '80s) they were wearing all green rather than sumpftarn and soft headgear. I don't think I ever saw a steel helmet. Anyway, that's my latest info. Anybody else know different?

BGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS Thread

The colour is a little off in the pics. It is actually a fairly light grey.

Regards

Mark

Default BGS mess tin, 3 part long version

Good afternoon gents,

As I said previously I have begun to build a small BGS collection and in order to keep all BGS items together I will add them here and hopefully by putting a title to each post it will make it possible to search and find these items. If anyone can think of a better way of doing it I am all ears

So, here is a BGS "long" type mess tin / kochgeschirr which is maker marked and dated;

It is missing the strap which I need to find if anybody can point me in the right direction. Being the longer version the WWII straps are just not long enough, any ideas?

Regards

Mark

BGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS Thread

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast