Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

BGS Thread

Article about: hi guys i don't know if this is a good idea or not but i think we should make a thread devoted to the BGS. post stuff like uniform,headwear,photos,equiptment and anything else so that we can

Default Sumftarn jacke lower pocket dividers.

Good afternoon gents,

This is something that has puzzled me for a while and I wonder if anyone can shed some light here.

The third patt sumpftarn jacke has two dived smaller sections in each lower pocket.

They are of a bellows type construction and I have often heard them described as "magazine pockets"

I am not so sure though. Firstly, why would this be so when magazine pouches of robust design were issued and even empty magazines would soon wear holes in the jacket if carried in this way.

Seccondly, whilst either of each pair will accommodate a NATO 7.62mm 20 round magazine ( I used an L1A1 British type for illustration but all NATO 7.62 mags are very close in dimensions) it is not an easy operation to put it in and once in there is not enough room to get a seccond one in.

So, were these just handy little compartments or were they meant for something specific?

BGS ThreadBGS Thread

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BGS Thread
    P
    Many

Default BGS early pattern beret

Here's another recent acquisition I would like to show;

An early type BGS beret which used the aluminium "Adler" as worn with the oakleaf kokarde in the schirmuetze;

BGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS Thread

From these pics you can see that the vent holes are on the "wrong" side compared to more usual beret construction.

To me the colour is a little different in shade to the more recent BGS berets with the muetzenstern type cap badge.

Here is just about the best example to show of this type of beret in wear. I don't need to name him do I?
    BGS Thread

All opinion is welcome.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-01-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add pic
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Tommywal View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can anyone offer some pointers as to what the RAL code is for the BGS helmet? I found somewhere that mentioned the RAL code is 6012 but it looks like the shade of green is a lot lighter than that.
    I just saw this as I was going through the thread so I wonder if you have sorted it yet?

If not I think you will find that the colour you need is RAL 6005 Moos Gruen (Moss Green).

I hope this helps

Mark

Default BGS stahlhelm vented version

Good afternoon gents,

As with everything in collecting I guess "just the one" is never where it ends

Having already added a non-vented type of this helmet I found myself unable to resist this vented one.

It has an attractive patina I think and as is typical of the type the inside is the usual polizei green (moosgruen) and the outside is overpainted with a textured finish of a different shade more like the Bundeswehr Gelbplive shade.

It has the added bonus of being a more unusual large size shell and liner.

I don't know but I am inclined to believe that the vented version is earlier than the non-vented but they seem to have been used concurrently. Can anyone give specific info on this?

BGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS Thread

Regards

Mark

Very nice addition Mark ,i think the vented m50 helms predate your example using refurbed war time shells or new made shells in the early 50's ,your vented m35/53 example as with the ventless ran concurrently together as far as im aware

Thanks James, I still have huge holes in my knowledge in respect of the BGS items that I am becoming more fascinated with by the day! Can you point me towards reference pics of the M50 helmet?

Also any other reference sources would be very much appreciated.

I am cultivating some "humint" sources at the moment but they are vets rather than collectors so they don't always grasp the detail we collectors are after because a "helmet is a helmet, right?"

Whatever I learn I will be sure to post here.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark ,the m50 I mentioned, it was designated m35/50 as far as I know ,and used by the BePo " BEREITSCHAFTSPOLIZIE" .: World War Helmets - Casque M35/50 :.

Default BGS manniquin display 1st attempt

Good afternoon gents,

As I said further up the thread I decided I would try my hand at the manniquin type display that many members here have done so well with and I have been actively hunting down BGS items for a short while now. I have selected the period around '65 - '75 that being pretty much the depth of the Cold War and overlapping with the early part of my own service.

This is my first attempt so any pointers would be appreciated.

All the kit displayed fits into my time frame except the waistbelt which is a recent German Police belt but as far as I can tell it is identical to the BGS item (which was actually a police belt anyway) although I expect the leather of the modern belt is likely a little thinner but that is a very minor detail considering how difficult the period item is to find.

Also the scarfe is much later I think and I will show detail of that in a following post.

I realise that the rank of Hauptmeister im BGS is probably too high for this order of dress but I have lower rank shoulder boards to add on the final version. I still need an ET of the correct period and a zeltbahn for any pointers there would be helpful.

Anyway, how does it look so far?

Regards

Mark

BGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS ThreadBGS Thread

Default BGS Scarfe

Here is the scarfe I mentioned. It is the same size as the current BW flecktarn type but is made from much more almost "luxuriant" fabric.

Anyone know any detail about these?BGS ThreadBGS Thread

Regards

Mark

Very impressive display Mark your's is far more complete than mine ,i see you managed to find the FN fal pouches and mess tin strap too ,your torso display is a pleasure to view and thanks for sharing
    cheers James

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast