Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

BGS Thread

Article about: hi guys i don't know if this is a good idea or not but i think we should make a thread devoted to the BGS. post stuff like uniform,headwear,photos,equiptment and anything else so that we can

Default Re: BGS Thread

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    I consider this by far the best constructed field jacket I have ever had the opportunity to handle never mind own the construction quality is excellent .I am still researching this Sumpftarn field jacket .These jackets were known as (Bundesgrenzchutz Einsatzjacke ) in the BGS this particular jacket is nicely maker marked and stamped in various locations and is dated to 1971. This jacket is missing the arm pocket cover on the left sleave this of course would be to seal the contents in the pocket I have looked at many period images and unit designation patches would be sewn on the pocket cover as well .This style of field jacket was first issued in 1967 and continued in service untill 1976 and is in the third pattern of sumpftarn camoflauge which was first put into production in 1963 and was used till the end of production in 1976 when the BGS officialy stopped wearing camoflauge. The jacket is designed to be used in conjunction with Y straps ( Koppeltragegestell )and a field belt the jacket has slits through the body in the shoulder area to thread the Y -straps through and is covered by a cape of extra material sewn over the shoulders to stop water from running in the slits cut for the Y-straps there are belt support hooks around the waist .The belt support hooks are strikingly similar to the ones found on an 43 feldbluse and are supported internaly by two straps and can be adjusted by moving the the belt hooks and changing there positon on the straps. You will notice the two D rings sewn on the back right hand side of the jacket these are for the attachment of a breadbag ( Brotbeutel )and or a canteen. There is a field bandage pocket sewn in the bottom right hand side of the interior of the jacket again another carry over from the TR feldbluse and the bottom pockets are partitoned on the inside to fit two mags in each pocket for the G-1 rifle . I will include a couple of photos with the Y-straps set in the slots and a bread bag attached for demonstration purposes . ( The Y-straps and breadbag are of Third Reich period )

Regards Mark K
    My above thread shows the arm velcro pocket pics 2 & 5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BGS Thread
    P
    Many

?

Rub it in Rene it was the first thing I noticed on your Sumpftarn field jacket I have a feeling it will be a hard Item to come by to replace mine.

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Rub it in Rene it was the first thing I noticed on your Sumpftarn field jacket I have a feeling it will be a hard Item to come by to replace mine.

Regards Mark K
    not trying to rub it in Mate, just to show. Are these hard to find nowa days? I haven't looked recently.
    I know the splinter is hard to find as my example is a bodge made up WW2 jacket from a zelt (shame!!!)
    Deffo do not have the 2nd patt in my pile

?

Rene I probably should have put one of these when I typed my last reply(Rub it in Rene ) LOL

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 01-14-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: change text

Gents...a pair of Sumpftarn trousers I obtained over the weekend from a re-enactor, sadly in order to give them the WW2 look the patch pockets on the top of each leg have been removed (I have them, but they are sewn onto my "Splintertarn| jacket !) .....oh well you can not have everything for 15 pounds ! note the stampings, and label (sadly too washed out to give any info) these are present on all original issue trousers but not on the commercially produced items now being reproduced. I show all angles for any comparisons...back, front, inside and out, note the leg ties have been removed, can be easily replaced....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

Some photographs of BGS combat gear........
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread  

?

Very nice Steve do you intend to try and sew the material back in place from a donor set if you can find a pair of scrap trousers
    One other point of intrest on the Koppeltragegestell I do notice in both photos that the leather protection disk that covers the main support ring on Third Reich era Y-straps is not in place and is now resting on the field belt has it just slipped down there or was there a change to design as it looks a little out of place.

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 01-17-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Mark....I have the pockets, but some unknown reason they have been stitched onto my 1956 "Splintertarn" jacket, so they will be removed and put back on the trousers...as soon as I find a damaged tatty "Splintertarn" jacket to donate the upper chest pockets and zip ! (I will be posting this jacket together with matching trousers later in the week)....as far as the "Y" straps, I have no idea about the rear disc/flap.
    Heres another piece I picked up at the same source...a bakalite "Butter container" identical to the WW2 version, but is more creamy than orange, it is stamped on the bottom "BGS".
    Prost ! Steve.

BGS Thread  

?

Amazing thread! I didn't know these jackets were so rare. In the late 80's they were very common in the fleamarkets in Austria, I owned several pairs and used them for hiking in the woods. They came cheap, if I only knew it ...
    Regards

Matt

?

I found my self a nice set of BGS marked Y- straps on Ebay.ca they should work well with my Sumpftarn camo feldbluse .
    There is a fair bit of BGS militaria items for sell out of Europe and the UK but by the time you pay the shipping it puts most of the field gear and other items over the top for cost .
    I thought these were a hell of a deal at $28.00 cdn postage included does any one know of sellers in North America that carry any BW or BGS items such as field gear ?

Regards Mark K

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread   BGS Thread  

BGS Thread  

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast