Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Bundesgrenzschutz tunic

Article about: A recent addition to my collection is a Bundesgrenzschutz tunic from 1962. Purchased from Germany the other week, it was missing its epaulets and epaulet buttons. Overall condition is superb

Default Bundesgrenzschutz tunic

A recent addition to my collection is a Bundesgrenzschutz tunic from 1962. Purchased from Germany the other week, it was missing its epaulets and epaulet buttons. Overall condition is superb, with the only damage being where the epaulets were unstitched from the shoulder seams. I sourced a correct set of stitch in replacement epaulets for the rank of 'Obermeister' in Germany - along with a DSB sportabzeichen in gold, the left upper pocket having award loops and I thought that this would be an appropriate badge for the tunic. I also took the liberty of attaching a ribbon bar for the EK, Wound Badge, and Russian Front medal. Many former Wehrmacht and SS joined the new organisation, so it certainly wouldn't look out of place. The eagle eyed amongst you might spot that the epaulets are retained with DDR buttons, but this is only a temporary measure. I ordered correct buttons from a retailer just about 50 miles from where I live, and this was done at the same time I ordered items from Germany. How strange that those travelling the furthest distance get here first!

The cap illustrated with the tunic is an almost mint private purchase example from circa 1952... it still has the price tag affixed to the rear. The tunic is of the second pattern, the first being much lighter in colour... and shoulder titles were not yet used by the B.G.S. The arm eagle is of a very fine quality compared to those used on the third pattern tunics. On a historical note, the B.G.S were formed on March 16th 1951 on the lines of a paramilitary force of around 10,000 men. But by 1956 this had grown to just over 16,000. The eastern Germans detested them and claimed that they were the rebirth of the 'Schutzstaffel.'

On a more personal note, this tunic holds many memories for me too. When I was about 14 or 15 (1966), I purchased the exact same style of jacket from an army & navy stores which was situated next to Denmark Road market in Hulme, Manchester. At that time most of the militaria dealers had junk shops, and I remember walking into one of them while wearing the jacket. The dealer was convinced that it was WW11 and purchased it off me, and I made a handsome profit. Click on images to enlarge

Cheers,
    Steve

Bundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bundesgrenzschutz tunic
    P
    Many

?

A great looking tunic Steve!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Another picture of the tunic with 57er awards attached. The denazified EK11 has an iron core, so it must be one of the early post-1957 versions. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    SteveBundesgrenzschutz tunicBundesgrenzschutz tunic

The historical background to these pieces is so interesting, really lovely pieces & display Steve, thanks for sharing mate
    Regards
    Paul

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    The historical background to these pieces is so interesting, really lovely pieces & display Steve, thanks for sharing mate
    Regards
    Paul
    I'll do a separate thread on the medals in a bit... I'm waiting on the arrival of a 57er Ritterkreuz - although its one of the later non-silver, non-magnetic varieties.

Cheers,
    Steve

Nice find that Steve.

lovely tunic Henry! it's especially nice that it is pre 1965 as after 1964 the BGS eliminated belt hooks from tunics. Also I'd like to note that Wearing of full 57er medals was against BGS regulations and only ribbon bars were allowed to be worn, as was the case for the rest of the civil organizations in the BRD. look forward to seeing you post more more!

Quote by Joe1945 View Post
    lovely tunic Henry! it's especially nice that it is pre 1965 as after 1964 the BGS eliminated belt hooks from tunics. Also I'd like to note that Wearing of full 57er medals was against BGS regulations and only ribbon bars were allowed to be worn, as was the case for the rest of the civil organizations in the BRD. look forward to seeing you post more more!
    Glad you like the tunic, the medals were only put on to display them. I never got around to framing all my 57er awards!

Cheers,
    Steve