Hi, I think that I have neglected this thread a bit and as it was me who set the goat running, then perhaps I should put a bit more effort into keeping it up and running?? So here goes, some Bundie shoulder insignia for view. This is very much a secondary collecting field for me and I do not profess to be anything like an expert on the Bundeswehr let alone their insignia so I would be very appreciative of any comments or corrections which anyone would care to make. I will make an effort to put a few on each night over the comming week. Hope that they are of interest.
Regards and best weishes Michael R
01-17-2014 09:54 PM
National Eagle emblem in shield over National Colours = Highest echlon personnel of the various functions of the Army.
Ditto surmounting Wording = Military Area Commands of the Army.
Ditto surmounting initials "SH" = Schleswig-Holstein Military Area Command.
Ditto surmounting a Roman numeral = Military District Commands.
National Eagle emblem on a yellow field surmounting a Roman numeral = Army Corps'.
Crossed Swords surmounting the letter "L" = Army troops based on training and demonstration establishments. Coloured edging denotes BOS.
Ditto with letter "S" = Armt training staff, instructors and students.
Ditto with flaming grenade = Army depots personnel.
Gold vertical inverted sword partialy encompassed by a wreath of both Oak and Laurel leaves = Military Sports School personnel.
Vertical coloured bars = Personnel of the Franco German Brigade.
Red griffin over a verticaly halved shield blue/white = 41 Territorial Brigade.
Black Elk on a white field = Marine 3 Minesweeping Squadron.
Last edited by Michael Ryan; 01-18-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Micheal, a good collection of Verbandsabzeichen (arm shields) from the BW Heeres.......you are correct the "Elk" badge is not BW....However the red Griffin on a split blue and white field is, it is Heimshutzebrigade (Territorial Brigade) 41 "Vorpommern" - Eggessin, formed 1st April 1994 from remnants of a DDR armoured Division, became part of PzGrenBrig 41 from 1994. The "Sportschule der Bundeswehr" badges are internal badges and not for general wear on the service tunic but were some times worn on the field uniform jackets/parkas/track suits etc, unofficially.
Prost ! Steve.
"The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)
Hi Steve, Thank you for your response and your info is especially appreciated!!!!! Now, a question for you if I may? All I have by way of reference information on BW insignia etc is a "Der Reibert", a couple of incedental books with some illustrations and a "scrap" book containing a selection of illustrations of patches etc. My question is, can you recommend any more in depth reference books or indeed, any online sites to view please?
Cheers Michael R
The insignia are:
1. Crossed Swords surmounting the letter "S" = Army training staff, instructors and students.
2. Rearing horse on a red shield over a vertically halved yellow/white = 1 Armoured Division.
3. Rampant lion vertically halved red/white on a field veryically halved white/red = 2 Armoured Division. later Rifles?
4. Crossed horses heads in white on a red field = 3 Armoured Devision.
5. White/yellow edelweise within a vertical oval outline on a green field = 1 Mountain Devision.
6. National Eagle on horizontal quaters of yellow/red/white/blue = 14 Armoured Devision.
7. Flighted eagle over a globe within a vertical oval = International LARP School.
8. Green oak leaf spray over a vertically halved yellow/white = 14 Territorial Defence Command
9. Inverted "Y" devisions containig rampant lion, diagonal pattern and horizontal bars. =
10. Vertically devided shield coloured blue/yellow and wording "Luftwaffe Mun Dp Luftwaffe Vers Rgt 6" = Possibly Luftwaffe?
11. Crossed Swords on a blue field = Army Support Command.
12. Vertically halved shield with halved National Eagle and a pair of parachutes = Possibly not Heer??
13. Crossed Swords on a diagonaly sectioned field black/red/blue = 200 Logistics Brigade.
14. Vertical inverted sword over Europe on a blue field = Euro Corps.
Last edited by Michael Ryan; 01-18-2014 at 07:55 PM.
by Michael Ryan
The "Elk" patch is German. It is the insigne of the Bundesmarine's 3. Minensuchgeschwader. [3rd Minesweeping Fleet]. See:
Marine - Pressemitteilung | Pressemitteilung Presse- und Informationszentrum Marine
by Michael Ryan
Heimatschutzbrigade 52 [Territorial Defence Brigade 52] / Heimatschutzkommando 14 [Territorial Defence Command 14] / Jäger-Regiment 52 [Light Infantry Regiment 52]. See:
Bundeswehr Home Security Commands Sleeve Badges
Logistikbrigade 200 [Logistics Brigade 200]. See:
by Michael Ryan
by Michael Ryan
These could all be useful:
by Michael Ryan
Liste der Verbandsabzeichen der Bundeswehr
Bundeswehr Corp & Division Badges
Feuerwehrabzeichen-Weltweit - Deutschland - Bundeswehr - Heer - Verbandsabzeichen 1
1. Inverted "Y" sectioned with yellow lion on black, blue and white diamond pattern and crossed keys in white on red. = 4 Armoured Infantry now Rifles Division.
2. White Parchute (4 line) within vertical oval edged field of grey = Air landing troops (paratroops) 1 Mountain Division.
3. Red Lion on yellow field = Naval Speed Boat S48
4. National Eagle in grey on a grey field BW "Wachdienst" = Military Security Guard Service.
5. Yellow rampant lion outlined with vertical yellow bars on a blue field = 5 Armoured Division.
6. Crossed inverted swords on a red field = BW Army Department.
7. Various trade speciality insignia.
8. Blue lions (x2) on a yellow shield superimposed on a white star all on a red field = 6 Armoured Infantry Division.
9. Black lions (x3) on a yellow shield itself on a diagonaly split shield black/yellow = 55 Territorial Defence Brigade.
10. On a field comprising the National Colours a shield with inverted "Y" sections white diagonal wave, white rearing horse on red and flower on white = 53 Territorial Defence Brigade.
11. Vertically quatered shield with TL canton white lion on blue, TR canton red vertical cross on white, BL canton red diagonal band with three white birds (eagles?) below a yellow triangle and BR canton gold lion on a black field = 54 Territorial Defence Brigade.
12. White rearing horse on a red field = 7 Armoured Infantry Division.
13. Gold National Eagle on a grey field edged in gold = May not be BW ???????
14. Black National Eagle on National colours = Not BW, Fire Service insignia
15. Grey or gold National Eagle on various coloured fields with wording BW "Brandschutz" = Military Fire Protection Service.
16. Black rampant lion on a yellow field = 10 Armoured Infantry now Armoured Division.
17 Blue parachute (4 line) on a blue field = 1 Airborn Division.
18 Variouys geometric shapes blue/black/white/yellow with black wings upper left and number 1 upper right = To be confirmed! Anti aircraft missile unit?
Once again, I would appreciate any corrections to the above. Cheers MR
Last edited by Michael Ryan; 01-19-2014 at 05:06 PM.