Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket

Article about: Hi guys, A buddy of mine picked this up the other day, and I wanted to see if I could get any more info on it for him. He wants to know what the patches were that used to be on the front. An

Default Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket

Hi guys,

A buddy of mine picked this up the other day, and I wanted to see if I could get any more info on it for him. He wants to know what the patches were that used to be on the front. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket   Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket  

Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket   Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket  

Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket   Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket
    P
    Many

The shield shaped stitching is likely a unit insignia, but there are quite a few shield insignias so it's going to be hard to pin it down. Here's a link to unit insignia Siegmund Stephan - Militaria - Shop, mail order and retail collectibles business

Top one is for the Pilots wings.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

What Ade and the Gunny said, plus a nametape on the left breast and sew-on rank insignia on both sleeves below the flags.

A lot of badges could and were affixed to these jackets, which by the way is very nice !.....not uncommon to find unit, aircraft type, rank and funnies badges attached ! The Luftwaffe it seems we're a little flashier than the other two forces ! Most of the badges were usually attached with Velcro.......
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! I have passed the link on to Adam. Hopefully he will be able to find a match.

Update:

So, he found the appropriate squadron patch. Now he needs rank insignia. He got this response from a former pilot:

"The rank patches on the grey flight leather jackets are the slip-ons You use on every other Bundeswehr clothing. There are no special rank patches for the leather jackets. Every time I was promoted, I took a set of the new ones and gave them to the wing tailor with my jacket to put it on. Sometimes the backside was cut away, sometimes the whole thing was applied. If You want blue rank patches or green ones at Your jacket - up to You, my current set is blue. The velcro method is used mainly today, but there are a lot of old-fashioned jackets with stitched-on patches around like mine. And as with every promotion the old set is ripped of and the new one is sewn on, there are a lot of stitching holes in this area of the leather."

Does anyone have any idea where he can find said rank patches?

Thanks,
    Mo

I've only ever seen the 'slip-on' epaulet type which
    the former pilot mentions above.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I just posted Adam a set of blue CPT boards.

Gents, the slip on rank badges are most common and used in the last couple of decades or more, Luftwaffe versions can be found on E-Bay especially its German site in both blue and green varieties...In the early days up to the late 1960's sew on types were available, as they were used prior to "velcro" attached insignia, and used in the main on tank suits, flying suits etc....always on the upper arm position.
    I show a pair of Oberfeldwebel's (pre 1963) from my collection, side by side with their modern slip on Leutnant's equivalent, they are rarely seen for sale today.......I also show a pair sewn to a Panzer Officers one piece suit, the suit is dated 1959.
    As for the leather jacket, it is dated 2009, so all the badges, bar the rank insignia, will be attached by velcro.
    If it was mine I would buy a sheet of velcro (both smooth and rough) and cut to shape the smooth side and sew them on to the jacket.......the rough side can then be sewn to badge....as for the rank insignia, sew them direct to the leather material of the jacket. I have just done this to a desert cammo jacket (as ISAF).
    Prost Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket   Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket  

Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Flight Jacket  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast