Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

"DSA", "BSA" and "LSA" Sportabzeichen

Article about: I recently acquired a small lot of 10 stickpins for early post-war sports badges that I would like to present today. Four sports badges with "DSA" monogram [Deutsches Sportabzeiche

Default "DSA", "BSA" and "LSA" Sportabzeichen

I recently acquired a small lot of 10 stickpins for early post-war sports badges that I would like to present today.

Four sports badges with "DSA" monogram [Deutsches Sportabzeichen = German Sports Badge], awarded from 1948 to 1952 (North Rhine-Westphalia, Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg):

Six sports badges with "BSA" monogram [Bundessportabzeichen = Federal Sports Badge], awarded from 1949 to 1952 (Lower Saxony, Rhineland, Palatinate, Bremen, Hesse and Rhenish Hesse):

I already had these three in my collection. Another "DSA" and "BSA" badge and one with "LSA" monogram [Landessportabzeichen = State Sports Badge, also awarded from 1949 to 1952 (Baden, Wurttemberg-Baden and Wurttemberg-Hohenzollern):

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "DSA", "BSA" and "LSA" Sportabzeichen
    P
    Many

A closer look at the maker marks.

The "DSA" badges were made by Steinhauer und Lück of Lüdenscheid ("ST & L"):

The "BSA" badges are by Wilhelm Deumer of Lüdenscheid ("WILH. DEUMER LÜDENSCHEID / GES. GESCH." [= gesetzlich geschützt]), Julius Maurer of Oberstein ("JULIUS MAURER OBERSTEIN") and K.H. Burer of Steterburg/Brunswick ("K.H. BURER STETERBURG BRSCHW." [= Braunschweig]):

"DSA", "BSA" and "LSA" Sportabzeichen "DSA", "BSA" and "LSA" Sportabzeichen "DSA", "BSA" and "LSA" Sportabzeichen

The "LSA" badge is by Fritz Kohm of Pforzheim ("FRITZ KOHM PFORZHEIM"):

Just for good measure, here are the cloth versions of the "DSA" and "BSA" badges and a full-size "LSA" badge, all in the silver grade:

I just found myself a full-size silver-grade "DSA" sports badge as well:

It's marked "GES. GESCH." (= "gesetzlich geschützt") and "ST. & L." for Steinhauer & Lück on the reverse side; the latter marking is poorly visible in the photograph.

By the way, there is no full-size metal version of the "BSA" badge. That one only came as a miniature and a cloth version.

(Also, I just noticed a goof in the text of my initial post. As can be seen from the photos, it's six "DSA" and four "BSA" badges, not vice versa.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-26-2018 at 07:12 AM.

And here's the latetst addition to the family, an "LSA" badge in bronze. It even came with the award packet (these are much rarer than the badges, as they were usually not kept by the recipients and are obviously less durable than the metal badges to begin with):

As an afterthought, here are the different state badges at a glance (with the silver grade of each given as an example):

(The Bavarian badge is covered in a separate thread: Das Bayerische Sport-Leistungs-Abzeichen )

Very interesting thread about these less know postwar sport badges, I have some in my collection and always was confused about the exact name of them, thanks for showing and for the explanation.

Nacho