Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Article about: Here is a badge that I have owned for years. (Previously, it had belonged my father who had purchased it in the Seventies.) I know that this is the short-lived first-model paratroopers' jump

Default Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Here is a badge that I have owned for years. (Previously, it had belonged my father who had purchased it in the Seventies.)

I know that this is the short-lived first-model paratroopers' jump badge [Fallschirmspringerabzeichen] of the Bundeswehr. What I don't know is whether it is real or not, as I am wholly unfamiliar with these badges and reliable information on them appears to be quite scarce. Thus, I thought I would post it here in the hope that other members will be able to comment on authenticity.

The badge measures approx. 5.9 x 1.6 centimeters. It shows heavy tarnishing and wear. The pin/hinge/catch assembly is bent and damaged; the catch is missing the central locking mechanism. The reverse bears the maker's mark for Assmann; I understand that this is a known manufacturer of the badge.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

Obverse detail:

Reverse detail:

Obverse view at an angle:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Here's a link that might prove helpful Andreas. There seems to be a variety of rear set ups.

Frühe Bundeswehr 1. Springerabzeichen - Ausrüstung - multi-board.com

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Totally original Andreas...Great badge short lived, from 1955 to around 1958, I believe many Officers wore them up to the mid 1960's...Assmann was indeed one of the makers of this badge.....and as Ned has shown many types of rear hardware was used, a close collector friend has an Assmann one with twin prongs on the reverse, so that you pierced the tunic to fasten on the badge ! There are copies of this badge out there !
    Prost ! Steve.

Here's where it goes........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?  

Here is another few photos of it in wear, from around the 1957 period......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?   Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?  

Thanks to both of you for the information, much appreciated!

What is, actually, the "correct" name for this badge of the Bundeswehr airborne troops?

"Bundeswehr Tätigkeitsabzeichen Fallschirmtruppe Erstes Modell" ?

"Erstes, Deutsches, Springerabzeichen, Metall 1957-1959" ?

"Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen 1. Modell"
    ?

The story goes that this badge was approved by Franz Josef Strauß, Bundesminister der Verteidigung (1956–1962) / Federal Minister of Defense (1956–1962), and that the badges were later withdrawn because they were based too closely on Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe awards.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks and regards,
    R.

P.S.:
    I have one from the manufacturer Assmann
    Dimensions: 59.2 x 16.5mm

I haven't taken any photos yet, but I can use his sales photos after getting the seller's permission.

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

P.P.S.:
    According to my information, the Steinhauer&Lück company also manufactured this jumper badge 1st pattern !
    Last edited by Reibert; 01-04-2024 at 10:50 PM.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Here is another few photos of it in wear, from around the 1957 period......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Thx. a lot for showin´, Steve !

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Quote by Reibert View Post
    What is, actually, the "correct" name for this badge of the Bundeswehr airborne troops?

"Bundeswehr Tätigkeitsabzeichen Fallschirmtruppe Erstes Modell" ?

"Erstes, Deutsches, Springerabzeichen, Metall 1957-1959" ?

"Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen 1. Modell"
    ?

The story goes that this badge was approved by Franz Josef Strauß, Bundesminister der Verteidigung (1956–1962) / Federal Minister of Defense (1956–1962), and that the badges were later withdrawn because they were based too closely on Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe awards.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks and regards,
    R.

P.S.:
    I have one from the manufacturer Assmann
    Dimensions: 59.2 x 16.5mm

I haven't taken any photos yet, but I can use his sales photos after getting the seller's permission.

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

P.P.S.:
    According to my information, the Steinhauer&Lück company also manufactured this jumper badge 1st pattern !

Hello,

I think it's a nice original in the blackened basic version

According to the chronicle of the 1st LL Division, "Activity Badge for Parachutists". (Arbitrary) Approved on March 31, 1957 by the Federal Minister of Defense Josef Strauß.

Yes, and now the speculation begins... officially it was said that "Federal President Hess (not even the federal government or the opposition) has said that the shape of the parachutist badge did not meet with his approval and that he would ask for proposals for the design of one as soon as possible to present a new badge".

Whether it was shape, size or something else remains to be seen. Maybe it was just a childish wrangling of authority, because only the president can approve such badges.

It was allowed to continue to be worn until a new badge was introduced. However, the award ceremony was stopped (at least officially) until April 11, 1958.
    So nothing was confiscated. This badge was simply no longer awarded and was replaced with another one.

Regards

Here are detailed pictures of the "Tätigkeitsabzeichen für Fallschirmspringer der Bundeswehr" laut Urkunde Mai 1957 ("special training badge for parachutists of the Bundeswehr" according to the certificate from May 1957), compared to the size of a "1957" needle, which did not receive the "applause" of Bundespräsident Theodor Heuss, Bundespräsident der Bundesrepublik Deutschland von 1949 bis 1959, (Federal President Theodor Heuss, Federal President of the Federal Republic of Germany from 1949 to 1959).

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Here is the clasp in size comparison to a later introduced beret badge (first version) of the Bundeswehr parachute troops:

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast