Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Article about: Here is a badge that I have owned for years. (Previously, it had belonged my father who had purchased it in the Seventies.) I know that this is the short-lived first-model paratroopers' jump

Default Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Here is a badge that I have owned for years. (Previously, it had belonged my father who had purchased it in the Seventies.)

I know that this is the short-lived first-model paratroopers' jump badge [Fallschirmspringerabzeichen] of the Bundeswehr. What I don't know is whether it is real or not, as I am wholly unfamiliar with these badges and reliable information on them appears to be quite scarce. Thus, I thought I would post it here in the hope that other members will be able to comment on authenticity.

The badge measures approx. 5.9 x 1.6 centimeters. It shows heavy tarnishing and wear. The pin/hinge/catch assembly is bent and damaged; the catch is missing the central locking mechanism. The reverse bears the maker's mark for Assmann; I understand that this is a known manufacturer of the badge.

Obverse view:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW-FallschAbz_1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	506821

Reverse view:

Name:	BW-FallschAbz_2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	506822

Obverse detail:

Name:	BW-FallschAbz_3.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	506823

Reverse detail:

Name:	BW-FallschAbz_4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	506824

Obverse view at an angle:

Name:	BW-FallschAbz_5.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	506820

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Early Bundeswehr Fallschirmspringerabzeichen real?

Here's a link that might prove helpful Andreas. There seems to be a variety of rear set ups.

Frühe Bundeswehr 1. Springerabzeichen - Ausrüstung - multi-board.com

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Totally original Andreas...Great badge short lived, from 1955 to around 1958, I believe many Officers wore them up to the mid 1960's...Assmann was indeed one of the makers of this badge.....and as Ned has shown many types of rear hardware was used, a close collector friend has an Assmann one with twin prongs on the reverse, so that you pierced the tunic to fasten on the badge ! There are copies of this badge out there !
    Prost ! Steve.

Here's where it goes........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI5541.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	506901  
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Here is another few photos of it in wear, from around the 1957 period......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1290210.jpg 
Views:	1216 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	506905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1290217.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	506906  

"The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Thanks to both of you for the information, much appreciated!