Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I would like to hear opinion from members on this recent acquisition. It was offered as a GSG9 helmet at a GSG9 helmet price but I didn't have to look too hard to see t

Default Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

Good afternoon gents,

I would like to hear opinion from members on this recent acquisition.

It was offered as a GSG9 helmet at a GSG9 helmet price but I didn't have to look too hard to see that it does not look like a GSG9 type that we are used to seeing.

Anyway, I liked the look of it so snapped it up. I think it is something much more unusual than a GSG helmet but I would like to hear what the membership think before I state my opinion.

As the pics show it is in 99% mint condition and appears completely unworn apart from people like us trying it on!

I think I have scored rather well here so I hope nobody has any horrors to reveal

Let me know what is the feeling or if anyone has factual info that would be great.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW early para.2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	954386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW early para.1.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	954385  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW early para.3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	954387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW early para.4.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	954388  

Name:	BW early para.5.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	954389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW early para.6.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	954390  

Name:	BW early para.7.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	954391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW early para.8.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	954392  

Name:	BW early para.9.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	954393  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-16-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Looks like a nice original early helmet to me well done

Well, it seems this is a bit more unusual than I thought.

I believe this is an early Bundeswehr trial helmet which was originally produced for the newly reformed Fallschirmjaeger. They trialled this helmet as one of several types and eventually selected the M1 "style" that we all are familiar with. I do wonder if image had anything to do with it as I must say that this is a very practical and comfortable helmet not dissimilar to the British HSAT. I would willingly jump with a lid like this even in these days of Kevlar / composite lids. Of course, it has obvious similarity of appearance to the WWII item. Perhaps this was adjudged unsuitable for a new and closely co-operating member of NATO?

As we know the BGS were not phased by such appearances and they adopted this design (with different liner and redesigned chinstrap) as they did the M35 helmet shape (also a different liner) but then they were a much more "internal security force" and less likely to mix with other NATO forces.

Anyway, this is not a mainstream BW helmet nor is it BGS / GSG.
    In terms of the steel helmet timeline of the German forces I think this is a bit of a gem but can anybody out there give me some facts please?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-17-2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Great pick up Mark and it looks in cherry condition

Semper Fi
    Phil

I started off thinking I had seen pictures of a number of the early West German LL helmets and was concerned that I didn't remember any with the spanner bolts similar to those on the wartime FJ helmets. My first bits of research (web and books only as I have none of these highly desirable objects in real life) seemed to confirm my suspicions, but then checking the Wehrmacht Awards site seemed to bring better news. Mark, take a look here - lots of information - Para Helmet - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

(NB I am by no stretch of the imagination a para helmet expert!)

?

I too am doubtful about it. I have not seen spanner bolts on BW Versuchs LL helmets, nor are any shown in the examples illustrated in Baer II pp.132-43. Versuchs LL helmets are all pianted olive and the liners in chin-straps are either of a rather makeshift nature or adapted from other helmets. The liner on this one looks too finished.

Here is an example with a Linnemann Schnetzler body and a Römer liner.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell LS Kalotte left (2).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	957285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell LS Kalotte in (2) - Copy.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	957284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell Römer front (2) - Copy.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	957283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell LS Kalotte left front - Copy.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	957282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell LS Kalotte  in front.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	957322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell LS Kalotte  in rear.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	957323

?

Here is another, the liner resembles that of the old FJ helmet, but the band is made of fibre. THe body is a cut-down non-magnetic Schwedenstahl Helm 1 body.Name:  GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell Römer liner front.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  32.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images     

?

Name:	FJ experimental NATO.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	957292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FJ experimental FJ.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	957291

Examples from a US evaluation from the 1960s. The liner is similar to the one on this Schuberth Versuchs LL helmet

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell Schuberth left.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	957309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell Schuberth front (2).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	957304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell Schuberth in.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	957308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE BRD Stahlhelm der Luftlandetruppe Versüchsmodell LS body  harness ends.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	957324