Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gas Mask Tin

Article about: Hi I'm new on here and relatively new to collecting. Ive been picking up random bits and pieces for a while, mainly NVA and bits of WW2 stuff. Wanted to know if the tin Ive just bought is Bu

Default Gas Mask Tin

Hi I'm new on here and relatively new to collecting. Ive been picking up random bits and pieces for a while, mainly NVA and bits of WW2 stuff. Wanted to know if the tin Ive just bought is Bundeswehr. I know its a mask tin it has a spare lense container in th lid like my WW2 one. The guy in the shop thought it was a thermos flask! I haven't seen one like this before so any information would be welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas Mask Tin  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas Mask Tin
    P
    Many

Default Re: Gas Mask Tin

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This is the indeed the Bundeswehr version of the gas mask tin. For the ABC mask. Replaced by the Banana shaped gas mask pouch from the 1960's onwards within the Army. Also saw later use by the Bundesgrenschutz (Border Guards).

Forum Mod Steve has one in his collection which I was only looking at the other week when I visited him. These were a very common and to be honest unwanted surplus item in the late 1970's early 1980's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks , looks like I'm not the only one wanting to know about these. I knew it was probably German but hadn't found any pictures of it when I did some internet research. I wasn't sure if it was bundeswehr
    or nva.

As Ade states, BW gas mask tin, this was the second model to be issued in the BW from 1959 thro to the seventies, the first being virtually identical (but a bit taller) to the WW2 can, but covered in a cloth cover to dull noise eminating from the can when carried ! as always, this model of can ran alongside the "Banana bag" version until phased out.....note the thick paint, isolation paint re Nuclear/Biological agents, the waterbottle/canteen was also painted in this until the seventies. first photo shows late issued banana bag, second photo, 1956-59 gas mask tin in use, third photo, sixties/seventies gas mask tin (the one you show).
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas Mask Tin   Gas Mask Tin  

Attached Images Attached Images Gas Mask Tin 
    Last edited by oradour; 06-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks for all the information guys. If Bundeswehr kit is still available at a reasonable price I think I may concentrate on collecting it as well as the NVA stuff I have. I had was interested in WW2 German kit but have read so much about fakes that I haven't yet been confident enough to buy more than a gas mask and tin.

Hi Trelawney,I think i almost bought that a few months ago at David Lay auction in Penzance.I hope you didnt pay too much for it
    Can anyone tell me whether this is of interest?
    Welcome to the site

Trelawney....you do not state where you are...if the U.K. then BW stuff is still available and cheap ! it is still available in some army & navy/surplus stores for very inexpensive prices...even if you are in the States, the situation is similar, however, most early BW (1956-1959) items are now climbing, especially in/on continental Europe....please, take the time to read through this sub forum and have a look at the items available and I am sure you will get interested in the world of BW collecting !
    Please post anything you obtain here on this sub forum, I would be pleased to offer any advice information you would require. Post your DDR/East German collection here, I do not collect, but are still interested !
    Prost ! Steve.