Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet postwar?

Article about: Hi Guys, I am hoping you can help me with this helmet. Judging by the liner and the missing buttons on the side, I presume that this is postwar, but for what a worn by whom? I appreciate any

Default Helmet postwar?

Hi Guys,

I am hoping you can help me with this helmet. Judging by the liner and the missing buttons on the side, I presume that this is postwar, but for what a worn by whom?

I appreciate any comments, thanks. Is it common?

KR

Karsten

Helmet postwar?Helmet postwar?Helmet postwar?Helmet postwar?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet postwar?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Helmet postwar?

hi , you are correct it is a postwar helmet with the liner fixed to the helmet dome. i think this type of helmet was used by the west german border guard protection force the bundesgrenschutz....pavel

Thanks,

In the mean time I found these photo´s from ebay.

Are these helmets collectible or very common?

I do not collect helmets, so I will be parting with it if I can find a buyer.

KR

Karsten
    Helmet postwar?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet postwar?  

Correct. They were used for a long time by the Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland - BRD / ("West Germany")

Karsten...as the others have stated...a post war made M1953 BGS Stahlhelm, note the way the liner is attached, via a single bolt/nut on inside of crown, this differentiated the M1953 from the model M1952, which had a liner similiar to the old M31 liner, and had liner pins through the shell, as on the old M35/40/42 helmets.....the M53 was worn well into the 1970's. They are not so rare, and can be found on auction sites for around £40-£50. For information on the M1952 helmet see here M1952 BGS Helmet.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

I have the three different types of this helmet....the first type made in the early fifties was by Quist and apart from the lack of a lot number and slightly different vent holes is a dead spit for a wartime M40, the second type had the dome hung liner and vent holes, so no liner pins, this is the type you have, and the third style did away with the vent holes.....I will see if I can find pics

I myself find them quite collectible, as they show the lineage and changes in the German helmet

AMTG....there is only two officially designated early BGS steel helmets, as discussed above the M1952 and M1953, however the M53 was made depending on maker, with and without the vent hole. It is known that in 1950 when the BGS was formed, modified wartime M35/40/42 helmets were issued (the M42 version is rare, with its welded up liner pin holes !).
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks oradour,
    It was an assumption of mine that the design got simpler as the years passed, but I do know I have the early version, and now teo of the later version by different makers......the M 42 version would be a nice one to find....

Gents...this helmet now for sale on another forum ! at a very good price 30 Euro ! shame it was not listed here ! after we told you what it was !
    Prost ! Steve.

thats a very nice helmet, I would have bought it if it was for sale here in the USA

cold war era helmets are nice collectables and not too expensive