Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help on BW visor?

Article about: I don't know much about West German uniforms, and I'm a bit unsure about this visor. Is it Luftwaffe? The insignia would suggest so, but aren't Luftwaffe caps supposed to be blue, not grey?

Default Help on BW visor?

I don't know much about West German uniforms, and I'm a bit unsure about this visor. Is it Luftwaffe? The insignia would suggest so, but aren't Luftwaffe caps supposed to be blue, not grey?

Help on BW visor?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help on BW visor?
    P
    Many

You might have a really early LW junior officer's peaked cap there.
    The first LW uniforms were grey (between 1956-57) and the same as the army except for the LW insignia, and cuff titles with LW wings.
    In 1957, the grey affenjacke was replaced by the four pocket service tunic in both the Army and LW, whereupon the LW reverted to traditional blue grey.
    However, the first officers' peaked caps had a simple black plastic peak, rather than the later cloth covered peak with embroidered edge. I believe that the black plastic peaks were discontinued in 1956. At any rate, when the new blue grey uniforms were introduced there would have been an overlap period, and I believe that in the Army the affenjacke continued in use until the mid 60's

Quote by cvrwdvr View Post
    You might have a really early LW junior officer's peaked cap there.
    The first LW uniforms were grey (between 1956-57) and the same as the army except for the LW insignia, and cuff titles with LW wings.
    In 1957, the grey affenjacke was replaced by the four pocket service tunic in both the Army and LW, whereupon the LW reverted to traditional blue grey.
    However, the first officers' peaked caps had a simple black plastic peak, rather than the later cloth covered peak with embroidered edge. I believe that the black plastic peaks were discontinued in 1956. At any rate, when the new blue grey uniforms were introduced there would have been an overlap period, and I believe that in the Army the affenjacke continued in use until the mid 60's
    That is very interesting! Thanks for the info. This is what the interior looks like. Looking at this photo actually makes me think it is blue after all...

Help on BW visor?

The cap looks early, but I don't believe that there is any precise way of dating these. It's also difficult to make out the exact shade of grey from the photographs, but it looks grey to me ! Anyway, please be aware that even the Luftwaffe blue grey was much more grey in the earlier days than in current LW uniforms, which are far more of a blue tone.
    I'm not exactly sure when the tone of the colour changed, but believe that it was in the 1970's.
    Also be aware that the colour of the Army caps changed, again I believe in the 1970's, from dark grey to light grey, so I would suggest that your cap is early whatever it is !