Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.

Article about: Super pick up!

Default The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.

Here is my latest purchase..it has only taken me 2 years to find ! a two piece M1 type clone for the early Bundeswehr, used between 1956 and 1959, when the M60 was introduced. It is in very good condition...shell is marked " F.W.Q. 56 34" for maker F.W.Quist, made in 1956, lot number 34. The liner is in good condition to...marked "HRS - Gr. Umst. 56" which is for the not so common maker of these liners..."Hermann Römmler Spremberg –Groß Umstadt", a firm, famous for its fake wooden panels for furniture in the 1930's, still made today ! the liner was also made in 1956.
    These are hard to find and expensive these days......enjoy !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.   The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.  

The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.   The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.  

The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.   The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.  

Last edited by oradour; 07-25-2012 at 10:47 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.
    P
    Many

Default Re: The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.

Very nice Steve.... I've learned (mostly from you) that these are quite hard to come by. Nice to have a couple of photos here now to make reference to as examples are virtually non-existant. Congrats on the new helmet!

Russ & Son

very nice example steve ,nice to see some close up shots as well ,thanks for sharing

More shots of the liner, plus a shot of the other liner I have (shiney one).
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.   The Holy Grail...an M56 "Zweiteilige" steel helmet.  

cool stuff steve can i ask why the liners differ slightly and are they of the same maker

Steve, Wonderful helmet in superb condition. A real beauty. Congratulations on this new addition to your collection

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks for the kind comments Gents....James, why do you think them different ? they are virtually the same, indeed either will fit the shell I show, however the finish is different, this is quite common for the M56, the liners can vary in colour from olive to dark blue, and every shade in between...there were several makers of both the shell and the liner, but there specifications were almost the same. The liner, as in the U.S. army was often worn on its own around the "Kaserne" and on parades.....see here....
    Prost ! Steve.

What a wonderful helmet
    I feel bad for the Germans though.
    They had the best design, protection wise (and looks), and they had to use the M1 instead.

37Webbing....indeed, a criticism levelled at the Bundeswehr throughout its history, as "Being to American" unfortunately due the antics of the Third Reich and post war public opinion this was the only way forward for the post WW2 West German armed forces.....under NATO guidance and assistance...It has been said the last truely "German" army, was the DDR's NVA.
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    37Webbing....indeed, a criticism levelled at the Bundeswehr throughout its history, as "Being to American" unfortunately due the antics of the Third Reich and post war public opinion this was the only way forward for the post WW2 West German armed forces.....under NATO guidance and assistance...It has been said the last truely "German" army, was the DDR's NVA.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Yes I can understand why you would label the NVA as the last truely German Army.
    Nothing remained the same after the war. My own country Denmark, had a thriving arms industry, own helmet design, all equipment made in Denmark.
    After the war we only managed to make our own uniforms and small bits and pieces. (Helmet liner, pistol holster etc.).
    Scandalous, but I guess it makes sense, when the USSR / WAPA countries wanted to nuke Europe back to the stone age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast