Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mountain Cap

Article about: G'day All, Not my area of collecting! but I thought to post this molested cap that came my way. Love the buttons. Interesting liner material with the flower work there!

Default Mountain Cap

G'day All,
    Not my area of collecting! but I thought to post this molested cap that came my way. Love the buttons.
    Interesting liner material with the flower work there! Can't date this one or know if the tress is right

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mountain Cap
    P
    Many

Perhaps post WWII with this kind of leather inside.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Cheers Mate It's post war with out a doubt

Modern mate..bad photo but this is the whole outfit
    Mountain Cap

Cheers Guys my question was not if it's WW2 but if the tress is correct and maybe what period?

It appears you have a 1970s-1980s (possibly through to current date) mid-range officer's cap for GJ troops. The silver cord is for 2nd LT through MAJ ranks. However, there are significant issues with this hat:

1. The liner is not original. Looks like someone stitched it in by machine, possibly as part of an attempt to fake this being WW2 era. Top liner should be montotone like the sides and usually with a plastic diamond manufacturer's "label" that allows for a name on paper to be slipped in.

2. There was a WW2 type bevo eagle and bullseye badge sewn onto the front. Should be a metal bullseye up top and metal swords below.

3. Buttons are not original. Standard buttons are smaller and silver pebble grain. These buttons are no doubt commercial. Germans do love their Edelweiß

4. Metal Edelweiß is missing off the left side, I presume since there's no picture of it.

These hats are not difficult to obtain, though of course officers versions are less common than enlisted (no cord at all). Often the mass market surplussed hats are usually missing their buttons and pretty much always the Edelweiß.

Steve

Cheers Steve Thank you for your great contribution

No problem! Happy to help.

Steve

A very cool cap despite being post war. If I happened to stumble across one, I'd probably buy it. Assuming the price was right of course!