Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My fifth 57er RK.......

Article about: Gents, this arrived the other week, my fifth 57er Knights Cross, a C frame, second core (magnetic) three piece construction RK, a standard St u L piece with ribbon, it came in an unusual box

Default My fifth 57er RK.......

Gents, this arrived the other week, my fifth 57er Knights Cross, a C frame, second core (magnetic) three piece construction RK, a standard St u L piece with ribbon, it came in an unusual box, which appears to be wider and slightly shorter than the standard box.....Its core, as mentioned is magnetic and is painted prior to assembly....giving a time line of this piece at around 1965. The C frame was stamped from a supposedly cleaned up set of RK dies, putting right the many flaws that had developed in the previous B framed cross, but flaws were also evident in the C frame RK as well, several are known...the only flaw mine exhibits is a faint "dent row" on the 3 o'clock arm. This cross is the missing link in my collection, as I have two "B" frame first cores, one "C" frame first core and one late so called "D" frame second core RK's (All are St u L crosses) this fits neatly into the timeline between my 3rd & 4th Cross mentioned above...The box has been identified as a Rudolf Souval piece that was usually supplied with his post WW2 made swastika cored copy RK's, it has been suggested that maybe the vet had two RK's, a 57er S&L and a Souval postwar copy with swastika, and the cases have become mixed up ? any way it came with the cross so it will stay with it, the Souval box is on the right of the boxes photo.
    Enjoy...Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My fifth 57er RK.......   My fifth 57er RK.......  

My fifth 57er RK.......   My fifth 57er RK.......  

My fifth 57er RK.......   My fifth 57er RK.......  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My fifth 57er RK.......
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My fifth 57er RK.......

Looks like you have added a great RK to an already great collection! And thanks for the lesson on the different frames.

Is the D the last of their frames or just the last collectable frame type? Also, how many core types can be found in a D framed cross? I know as time went on these cross's became less and less desirable to collectors.

I have only a B frame 57er and I know understanding the timeline of the postwar RKs is a nightmare in itself.

Is it possible to show your collection side by side to illustrate the progression of the core and frame changes over the years?

Quote by Hagen View Post
    Is the D the last of their frames or just the last collectable frame type? Also, how many core types can be found in a D framed cross? I know as time went on these cross's became less and less desirable to collectors.
    The "D" frame is a collector term to I.D. the last official production of the Knights Cross generally acknowledged as being between the late 1970's and earl 1990's..that said, I know of a collector who obtained one via St u L in 2002 ! They are still shown as available in a price list from around 2007, but it would appear not held in stock, I think made to order. The only manufacturers of these types of RK are St u L in Ludenscheid, Germany, no where else ! They (D frame) are a brand new die and have no known flaws, they all use the second pattern core (large acorns) and are always non magnetic, these crosse can be identified by the sharp seperating lines made through the beading at every corner....if the frames are silver (not all are) they will be marked with an "800" silver content on the reverse usually on 12 o'clock arm, they have a sand blasted type silvered finish, any polished frames on this indicate ones that have been "messed" with ! They are often shunned by hardcore 57er collectors (if there is such a thing !), however they are official awards...i.e. real RK's and therefore I can only see their prices rising in the future...I have one which I think is rather well made and compliments my 57 RK collection, I personally give them the thumbs up
    Here it is.....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My fifth 57er RK.......   My fifth 57er RK.......  

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Is it possible to show your collection side by side to illustrate the progression of the core and frame changes over the years?
    No problem Glenn, I shall add such a thread....give me a few days.... probably earlyl next week.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    They are often shunned by hardcore 57er collectors (if there is such a thing !),

Well I think it a fine looking cross and wouldn't toss one in my junk box that's for sure! I see what you mean by the lines in the corners of the beading (very distinct) and the larger acorns on the core. Also the sand blasted frame is not unappealing, at least to me.

As for there being any hardcore 57er collectors, I believe I'm conversing with one right now!

Again Steve, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me/us.

Mike

?

Steve I'm not stalking you !!! Just fishing around the 57 award area... & that cross is bloody amazing in my eyes.. I know what you mean about the 1939 numbers being a tad more chunky.....I like the way you have displayed it..top dollar. Cheers Terry.