Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pab 1957

Article about: by Nick Hessens Go for the early to mid versions, Terry! Leave the open hinge blocks aside, except if you want a gap filler for the rare ones. Like Steve said; they were made for collectors

?

Default Pab 1957

Hello Ladies & Gents again this is my last 57 award for now I might be purchasing another next month see how the pennies go??.. Any feedback welcome..Cheers Terry.
    Pab 1957Pab 1957Pab 1957

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pab 1957
    P
    Many

Default Re: Pab 1957

I'm not really up on '57 awards but is this made by S&L Terry? The design is almost identical to their mid to late war zinc badges appearing to be of the 1.4.?. type depending on the rear set up. It's interesting to note the conjoined barrel to mudguard and simplified foreground too, I wonder if this was done for reasons of manufacturing costs?

Here's the earlier type it appears to be based on.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Pab 1957 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I think it is a S & L Ned!!!..& I would go with the cost cutting theory you have too..!!.& the 2 badges do look very a like..Both nice looking awards in my eyes...Cheers Terry.

Hi Tel,

Looking at it again, the catch appears the same as on some of S&L's crosses and later badges. Although most of the badges had an oblong footplate, the wide flat wire catch and it's shape, as well as the obverse design makes me pretty confident it is by them.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, it is indeed a St u L piece ! albeit a late made late 1970's early 1980's piece for the collector market, evident by the open hinge, large "C" catch and the conjoined barrel/mudguard they could not be bothered to cut it out at this late stage ! quality and finish is not as good as earlier made awards....however, still a 57er and part of the time frame of these awards, Terry if you get an earlier piece the difference in quality will show when you compare....meanwhile here is an early Bronze and a Silver mid production made awards for comparison....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pab 1957   Pab 1957  

Pab 1957   Pab 1957  

Thanks Steve. The comparison is strikingly different, the bronze roundwire pin version is especially attractive, the quality of it's finish appears as good as some of the best Panzerkampf Abzeichen's they produced, and certainly better than some of the late war ones. All very interesting and something new learned!

Regards, Ned.

Nice one, Terry.

Here is my bronze...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pab 1957   Pab 1957  

Congrats Terry!
    I almost bought one like this but, picked up an earlier one instead.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks guys for the feedback...I don't know when this 57 collecting is going to end ?....early versions,older versions, there will mid years soon???..lol..But I'm learning on the job..so thanks again.. Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedback...I don't know when this 57 collecting is going to end ?....early versions,older versions, there will mid years soon???
    Go for the early to mid versions, Terry! Leave the open hinge blocks aside, except if you want a gap filler for the rare ones. Like Steve said; they were made for collectors and lack in overall quality. It doesn't mean all late pieces are ugly, Steve has some beautifull late examples in his collection and so is your HSF badge. I've seen much worse!

Regards,
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast