Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Panzers in Wales !

Article about: Gentlemen, I dont know wether some of you are aware, but in the early 1960's German Panzers rolled down the streets in the U.K. well to be precise, Pembrokeshire, South Wales. In 1962 there

Default Panzers in Wales !

Gentlemen, I dont know wether some of you are aware, but in the early 1960's German Panzers rolled down the streets in the U.K. well to be precise, Pembrokeshire, South Wales. In 1962 there was deemed to be a shortage of suitable tank training areas in Northern part of Germany for the British Army of the Rhine, an agreement was thus made, whereby armoured training for German recruits could be undertaken in the UK, so the Bergen-Hohne Training Area could be freed for use by the British Army. The site chosen was the Castlemartin ranges/camp 8 miles from Pembroke town in South Wales. It was Panzer Battalion 84 that rolled into South Wales and stayed there until 1996, when additional ranges in Eastern Germany became available on reunification. Castlemartin ranges are still in operation today. However the Bundeswehr left a Leopard II, which is displayed, sadly out of public view inside the camp. The entrance to the camp has two British tanks on display a Centurian and a Conqueror. I have attached a link to a local Welsh newspaper report that makes most interesting reading..... WalesOnline - News - Wales News - When German troops and tanks invaded Wales I also read that when the BW left they did not take all of their vehicles with them, a small number of VW Iltis and Unimogs being sold to the locals ! Another interesting piece..a film clips PANZERS IN WALES - British Pathe TANKS ARRIVE FOR PANZERS - British Pathe and here ‪Castle Martin‬‏ - YouTube
    Prost! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzers in Wales !   Panzers in Wales !  

Panzers in Wales !  
    Last edited by oradour; 07-21-2011 at 12:59 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzers in Wales !
    P
    Many

Default Re: Panzers in Wales !

Gents, Panzerbataillon 84 is part of Panzerbrigade 8, and when stationed at Castlemartin would of worn the sleeve badge of that brigade and an on duty breast hanger (hung from the button of the right breast pocket) of a design incoperating their location (different from their Lüneburg garrison hanger), see here, from my collection.....Apparently the Leopard, which is a 1A5 model is now on display outside the gates of the camp, handy for anyone on holiday in that area.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Panzers in Wales !  Panzers in Wales ! 
    Last edited by oradour; 07-21-2011 at 01:00 AM.