Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................

Article about: Gents, another buy over Christmas was this collection of awards from the nachless (group) of a Condor Legion veteran.....a four medal bar, EK I, Pilots badge and Hungarian pilots badge (wart

Default Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................

Gents, another buy over Christmas was this collection of awards from the nachless (group) of a Condor Legion veteran.....a four medal bar, EK I, Pilots badge and Hungarian pilots badge (wartime, I presume), some of the other items in this grouping escaped me despite bidding, the ribbon bar in particular went for over £200 ! despite being broken !!
    However here are the items I won..........a medal bar with "BundesVerdienstkreuze am Bande" (a BRD award since 1951), "EK II", "Wehrmacht 4 year long service medal" and a "1936-39 Spanish Civil War medal", all made by St u L in the IMO in late 1960's, as the BvK is a late sixties to early seventies made piece (the dates of manufacture can be deduced upon design and production characteristics with these medals), the EK II has plated frames and a magnetic core, the long service medal, has the typical St u L eagle design, the Civil War medal is not maker marked as Spanish made versions evidently are, again I would say St u L as well for the manufacturer, this one though has the Spanish style ball mount jump ring, St u L also made these medals with normal style jump rings. The EK I and Pilots badge are both what would termed "late production" badges, both having open hinges, big "C" catches and second pattern tapered pin, but the quality from the front is every bit as good as the early versions...the EK I having plated frame, super soldering and a magnetic core, the details/features of the pilots badge again match the early types, so again it is my opnion that these would of been made in or around the change over date of rear hardware 1968. There is also a pair of metal Hungarian pilots wings (one of three pilots wings in this "nachless".
    I will show the other items that were part in this set in the following posts........first up the medal bar, note...that on the images of the rear, another ribbon colour can be seen under the awards original ribbons, this quite correct, as medal bar makers in Germany often "packed out" the bar with non descript ribbon !
    Prost !Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................   Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................  

Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................   Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................  

Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................   Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................
    P
    Many

Now the EKI, Pilots badge and Hungarian pilots badge ....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................   Post war Condor Legion grouping.....................  

Sadly no name to go with this set ! However also listed among this nachless was this period photograph dated July 1938 taken some where in Spain..............could it be the owner of these awards or a fellow airman ? Who knows.............
    Prost ! Steve.

Here are the other items from the nachless, which I was outbid on ........a 57er style ribbon bar (no fastener bar or hook, went for over £200), a post WW2 civilian pilots badge, a flying clasp for fighter in Gold with 200 missions hanger, Spanish breast star "Al Merito" (original Civil war era) and a Spanish pilots badge (original civil war era) which failed to sell but has since been re-listed at a higher price ! (albeit missing its unique back plate !)............A shame the set got split up and scattered to the four winds !
    Prost ! Steve.

Fantastic grouping. I love the medal bar in particular, very nice and hard to find with Legion Condor connection. Thanks for sharing Steve!

Regards

very nice medals.

A bit of an update on this grouping.....after a lot of researching all over the web I found that the "Hungarian" wings in the set are actually the centre piece of a visor cap badge, from the era before the NSDAP took control, pre 1933....the predecessor of the DLV "Deutscher Luftsportverband" (later the NSFK flying corps) was the "Deutschen Luftfahrt-Verbandes" also with the initials DLV, which governed aero/flying clubs in Germany....I show the cap badge for this organisation below.
    I went back to the dealers site where I had got the group from and found another piece of the grouping left unsold....it was a heavily embroidered bullion badge very similar to the DLV badge shown below, with the metal eagle badge in the centre missing (there were holes for the locating pins), and with the initials A A T instead of D L V ....yes you have guessed it, the "Hungarian" wings were actually the missing eagle from the centre of this badge, so I bought it ! and when received (this morning) the eagle rear pins lined up perfectly with the holes in the badge and re united the two badges ! What a buzz ! Know I just need to find out what the initials A A T stand for ? one of the flying clubs in the so called "ring" within the DLV no doubt.
    See here the finished badge which was originally owned by the yet unidentified awardee of these awards......
    Prost ! Steve.