Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Walther Dahl's funeral photographs............

Article about: Gentlemen, had these photographs for some time now, but have not shown until now as I have no scanner (or access to one) and the images taken by me with my "tourist" camera are cra

Default Walther Dahl's funeral photographs............

Gentlemen, had these photographs for some time now, but have not shown until now as I have no scanner (or access to one) and the images taken by me with my "tourist" camera are crap !
    I show them now......of Walther Dahl's funeral in Heidelburg, Baden Wurttemberg, on the 29th November 1985, Dahl died a few days earlier on the 25th.
    Walther Dahl Oberst aD. holder of the Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub (11/3/44) and Luftwaffe air ace, with 129 air victories from 678 sorties ! for more details see here World War 2 Awards.com - DAHL, Walther and here Walther Dahl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The photographs show Feldwebel Friedrich Winter himself a Ritterkreuz trager (6/12/44), acting as order bearer....strange that Winter is not wearing his RK....here is more information on Winter World War 2 Awards.com - WINTER, Friedrich (Aufklrungsgruppe 16)
    Dahl's orders appear to be 57er's, together with a BW luftwaffe cap badge on the pillow, but Dahl never rejoined the Luftwaffe, he went into Politics. On the rear of one photograph are details penned by Winter on the event, and some one else having identified Winter has added his (Winters) awards with dates.
    One of the photographs IMO has nothing to do with Dah'ls funeral, and show a group of Austrian veterans, I include it as came with the group. Sorry for the quality of the images........
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1057.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	896179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI4641.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	591319  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI4639.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	591322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI4638.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	591320  

Name:	DSCI4637.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	591321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI4649.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	591324  

Name:	DSCI4650.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	591323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI4640.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	591325  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by oradour; 10-24-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

I reckon he wasn't wearing his own RK so as not to "upstage" or take attention away from the person being honoured.
    It's a tradition in Australia for veterans to place their hand over their medals to cover them when passing a memorial on ANZAC or rememberance day, as a sign of respect for the dead who can't wear their medals

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I reckon he wasn't wearing his own RK so as not to "upstage" or take attention away from the person being honoured.
    That's what I thought.......................
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)