Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000

Article about: I'm seeking information and photos of German soldiers riding or with bicycles from the years 1990 through 2000. I have an ex-German Army bicycle -- a 1994 Panther "Fahrrad" -- from

LaHistoriaMilitar
    ?

Default Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000

I'm seeking information and photos of German soldiers riding or with bicycles from the years 1990 through 2000. I have an ex-German Army bicycle -- a 1994 Panther "Fahrrad" -- from the Canadian base CFB Shilo where the Bundeswehr trained from 1974 to 2000. Thanks!

2. # ADS

Default Re: Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000

LaHistoriaMilitar, some time ago I was interested in purchasing an ex-Bundeswehr bycycle, that was on E-Bay Germany, however transporting it back to the U.K. proved not only expensive, but nigh on impossible, unless I actually went over to Germany to get it myself ! so as I could not find one here in the U.K. I gave up on the idea....I did at the time do some research as to their use, I knew that the German Army had a long tradition of "Fahradtruppen" they were used in both world wars, and that in the establishment phase of the Bundeswehr, a few companies were equipped with bycycles, this however was before the complete motorization of all troops, and was not a permenant solution. I think the bycycle in the Bundeswehr from that point on, was relegated to occasional use in and around garrison/base, and was not used in a military sense, unlike the Swiss Army who only recently disbanded their cycle troops (2006) they (Swiss) were regarded as elite troops !...I think this topic needs more research and investigation. You are lucky to own such a machine so far from its home ! Perhaps someday I will own such a bycycle ! Please show photographs..."Panther" cycles still to this day produce bycycles in Germany, see this link for their history.
    1952 Panther Herrenrad « www.Oldbike.eu
    Prost ! Steve, oh and here are some photos of their Imperial counterparts !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000   Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000  

Attached Images Attached Images Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000  Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000  Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000 

A bit of digging on E-Bay Germany turns up a Bundeswehr "Luftlander" (Airborne troops) bycycle trailer from around 1961, for £240.....a great addition for your BW bike.... enjoy !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000  Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000  Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000  Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000 

LaHistoriaMilitar
    ?

The German army bicycle trailer is very nice, perhaps the ultimate army bicycle accessory. Rather similar in concept to the Swiss army bicycle trailer although I think the German trailer is "prettier", if you will.

"[T]he bycycle in the Bundeswehr ... was relegated to occasional use in and around garrison/base, and was not used in a military sense"; this is what I have heard from former 1990s Bundeswehr soldiers as well.

Photo of Swiss trailer attached, from Brian's Bicycle Banter: Swiss Army Bicycle Trailer.

I will upload some photos of my 1994 Bundeswehr Panther when it is in "show" condition.

Thanks!
    Wanted: Info re: German Army bicycles, 1990 - 2000

Quote by LaHistoriaMilitar View Post
    Rather similar in concept to the Swiss army bicycle trailer although I think the German trailer is "prettier", if you will. I will upload some photos of my 1994 Bundeswehr Panther when it is in "show" condition.Thanks!
    LaHistoriaMilitar, I agree too re/the bike trailer quote, I look forward to seeing your Panther !
    Prost ! Steve.