Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?

Article about: The cap that started the thread appears to me to be some kind of Bundeswehr cap with very badly applied white piping sewn onto it. Thanks once again to FB for showing some exceptional authen

?

Default Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?

Hello, would like to know if is real or fake? Found it in my box I store for a long time ago bought this one in 1977 and I just started to reopen the box I stored 30 years ago. I didn't pay to much I think I paid 10.00.

But never check if is a real one. I have 10 box of stock I store, more items are coming. I will need your help to see if is fake or real

thank you for your help, meech.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?   Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?  

Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?   Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?  

Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?
    P
    Many

Default re: Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?

Hi Meech, sorry it is not original and the insignia is also fake.

Lots of problems with it: air vents, leather peak, sweat shield, chinstrap, etc... The deathshead is known as the "Moustach" fake. See the pronouced lines above the top lip which gives it it's nick-name.

But you will still turn a nice profit today if sold as a fake.

We have a wealth of photos of originals shown on the forum, both here and in the SS forum. Please compare them.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?

thank you very much ade i have more to come meech

As a contrast.... this site has more authentic pictures than elsewhere. If you have any serious interest in this regalia, invest your time wisely in research and avoid the heartbreak that is the norm with these things.

sapere aude.

Also, I associate myself with all the observations of Adrian S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?  Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake? 
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-27-2010 at 08:44 PM.

note...this is from the fine collection of Bob Coleman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?  
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-27-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Use primary sources and learn in addition to websites, which are often a maze and confusing. This image is courtesy of Wim Saris, a noted author researcher.

Authentic SS regalia is expensive, very hard to find, an object of endless conflict in these websites and thus not for the faint of heart. It is also surrounded by certain personages, some of whom are uninterested in sharing knowledge on a transparent basis or who have other agendas that run counter to the beginning collector.

Also, a word to the wise, you help yourself a lot if you can read German, since these things were made there in the 20th century.

And it also helps to know about Germany in the early and mid 20th century, since it was a place that differs from the world known to certain posters on websites in the 21st century who wrongly impose the world around them today on the past.

This all is not to say that the task is impossible, but it is far more difficult than it should really be, in fact, and that is a shame to be sure.

All that glimmers on the internet screen is hardly the truth.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-27-2010 at 09:32 PM.

But do let me didactic with one final point. The piping on these fake caps of newish make is always a dead give away, because the originals were made by persons with a long, long apprenticeship and a level of expertise in such a craft that has vanished utterly from our world, or, at least is not expended on most fake caps.

Compare the piping on the fake (which seems to be cancer like) versus the examples in the original.

The fake here appears to have the interior of a Bundeswehr cap. I am not so certain how they manage to do this, but that is what appears to be the case.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-27-2010 at 09:33 PM.

yes...sorry !

on this never ending theme.....Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?Allgemeine SS cap: real or fake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast