Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeine SS Visor Cap

Article about: Hello folks. Never thought I'd be posting one of these for authentication! I've habitually avoided SS items since I first started collecting, and for good reason. This area of collecting is

Default Allgemeine SS Visor Cap

Hello folks.

Never thought I'd be posting one of these for authentication! I've habitually avoided SS items since I first started collecting, and for good reason. This area of collecting is a minefield, and it seems that not a day goes by where someone does not post a bogus SS cap on the forum.

At the War & Peace Show this July, I've set a very ambitious goal for myself. This may be a little premature, but as this will be the most expensive item of militaria I'll ever have bought -- indeed, the most expensive thing I'll probably ever buy at all -- I want to be as sure as I possibly can, as far in advance as possible, before I commit a sizable amount of money to something of this nature.

This appears, to me, to be an authentic if very hard-worn Allgemeine SS enlisted man's/NCO's cap. But as I have zero experience in this field, my opinion counts for very little. Material and construction appear correct, as per other original visor caps shown on this forum. The wear and tear looks natural, and appears in all the places I'd expect to see wear on a cap of this age.

I submit this cap to the forum, in the hope that I will be able to find out if it's the real deal or a dud. This is one of several caps I've found that are within my price range. If this one turns out to be bogus, I'll look elsewhere. I humbly request the assistance of the experienced folks here, to determine if this is a good'un or a bad'un. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, and I extend my sincerest thanks in advance.

Allgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor Cap

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS Visor Cap
    P
    Many

Genuine item but really tired.
    Think you'd be happier in the long putting a little more $ to
    work and buying a nicer conditioned item.
    It'll be tough to move some day due to condition.

?

BB I came across this one in my searches and felt it was a good one as well. The insignia are good, the trikot fabric looks right, and the interior looks good and seems to be stamped correctly. the loose rzm tag did not convince me 100% but I have usually seen them associated with the RFSS tag in the diamond . That being said I'm far from being very knowledgeable on these but I think it stands a good chance of being a well worn good cap. Of course wait for the "Experten" opinions.

Good Luck, Al

Quote by texasuberalles View Post
    Genuine item but really tired.
    Think you'd be happier in the long putting a little more $ to
    work and buying a nicer conditioned item.
    It'll be tough to move some day due to condition.
    Thanks for your feedback, and for replying to the thread so promptly!

I understand that it's in rather rough shape, but unfortunately caps in better condition than this are out of my price range. I've always been the one to advocate for saving for a better item, but I simply cannot justify spending much more money than this.

That, and resale value isn't something that concerns me much. I'm far too sentimental for that. I plan to keep the majority of my collection until the day I die.

Regards, B.B.

Although I am far from being an expert on these, I have handled just a few in my time... it looks to be OK. But it seems to be suffering the ravages of time a fair bit. But as always... it is down to what you can afford!

Quote by Aldo View Post
    BB I came across this one in my searches and felt it was a good one as well. The insignia are good, the trikot fabric looks right, and the interior looks good and seems to be stamped correctly. the loose rzm tag did not convince me 100% but I have usually seen them associated with the RFSS tag in the diamond . That being said I'm far from being very knowledgeable on these but I think it stands a good chance of being a well worn good cap. Of course wait for the "Experten" opinions.

Good Luck, Al
    Thanks for the prompt feedback, Al!

Well worn, yes. But I've always preferred the salty items to the mint condition ones. An item with wear and tear was 'there', rather than spending the entirety of the war on some SS clerk's desk!

Regards, B.B.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Although I am far from being an expert on these, I have handled just a few in my time... it looks to be OK. But it seems to be suffering the ravages of time a fair bit. But as always... it is down to what you can afford!
    Thanks, Steve! It's a combination of my personal tastes and personal finances that drew my eye to this one. The price is something I can reasonably save up for by July, and I've only ever seen wear and tear on a piece as extra character.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

It's got some wear and a bit of tear but I think condition issues are being overblown. The cap is still solid and intact. Sweatband is not falling off, is flexible and is nicely marked. Still has the majority of the sweat shield. Visor hasn't been resewn and the chinstrap is there. No moth nipping.

The piping has some issues but this is not too bad.

If this was a helmet people would be saying "I love helmets that have been there with some honest wear". What's wrong with a little wear on a visor? And wear that is from "real" use? Not from being poorly stored?

Edit: A few years back, I posted a Luft Officer visor. Very salty (even wear to the piping in the back and under the chinstrap)...but receive positive feedback for the honest wear. See Stonemints post (#4) and even FB!

Luft Officers Visor - A salty dog - Max Lindner Munchen
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    It's got some wear and a bit of tear but I think condition issues are being overblown. The cap is still solid and intact. Sweatband is not falling off, is flexible and is nicely marked. Still has the majority of the sweat shield. Visor hasn't been resewn and the chinstrap is there. No moth nipping.

The piping has some issues but this is not too bad.

If this was a helmet people would be saying "I love helmets that have been there with some honest wear". What's wrong with a little wear on a visor? And wear that is from use? Not necessarily from being poorly stored?

Edit: A few years back, I posted a Luft Officer visor. Very salty (even wear to the piping in the back and under the chinstrap)...but receive positive feedback for the honest wear. See Stonemints post (#4)

Luft Officers Visor - A salty dog - Max Lindner Munchen
    It seems to be a difference between metal and cloth items. Some degree of wear on a steel helmet is expected. Very rarely do you find a helmet with one hundred percent of its paint remaining. Whereas with cloth headgear, it's much easier to find a mint condition cap than it is to find a salty one. Just my 'two cents' on the matter!

B.B.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It seems to be a difference between metal and cloth items. Some degree of wear on a steel helmet is expected. Very rarely do you find a helmet with one hundred percent of its paint remaining. Whereas with cloth headgear, it's much easier to find a mint condition cap than it is to find a salty one. Just my 'two cents' on the matter!

B.B.
    Yes, there are more examples of nice cloth visors. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this is an honest worn example still in solid condition. It didn't sit in a hat box. They guy wore this, and often.

I'm just saying that there is just as much history behind a worn visor as there is a worn tunic or a worn helmet.

But if you don't like it, don't get it. Save up for one in better condition. But as you posted it for authenticity, I assume you liked it and was lending support that just because something is not NIB, doesn't mean it's not nice.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast