Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Article about: Ben is a wonderful collector scholar, as we all know. I have a very serious adult job, which consumes a lot of my time, and I cannot translate all of this. I will leave the burden to others,

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    A recently available piece from Bruce Hermann. Ben, would you be willing to elaborate on what we see here as a quick lesson? I know I would greatly appreciate a description of the components.

Regards,

CMH

Attachment 622733
    Bruce Herman recently decided that this was an Atwood, Berlins Aelteste Muetzenfabrik special and removed it from his site.
    I think the badges are real, though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The anatomy of the Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Bruce Herman recently decided that this was an Atwood, Berlins Aelteste Muetzenfabrik special and removed it from his site.
    I think the badges are real, though.
    Interesting, I wonder how Bruce determined this to be an Alteste with just a few bits of the cap. Though a bogus cap, at least a good exercise regarding the inner components. Ben, how does this one compare to the other visors of the era that you have seen or repaired? Thank you F-B for the update. Bruce has very nice things, I hope he didn't take a hit financially from this one.

Regards,

CMh

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Here you go, both taken out of post war caps but the designs are the same more or less.

You could get a prong through the centre of the proper "spring" type.
    Indeed, cheers for that!...

?

Very interesting visor info. One learns something new every day.

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Interesting, I wonder how Bruce determined this to be an Alteste with just a few bits of the cap. Though a bogus cap, at least a good exercise regarding the inner components. Ben, how does this one compare to the other visors of the era that you have seen or repaired? Thank you F-B for the update. Bruce has very nice things, I hope he didn't take a hit financially from this one.

Regards,

CMh
    I told him to compare the shred with an Atwood cap in the dimensions of a.) color of textile in cap cover; b.) nature of velvet in cap band; c.) width of cap band; d.) color and textile of remnant cotton inner lining.
    The field grey in the Atwood caps is distinct, of lesser quality trikot than in an authentic cap. Also, the width of the cap band is a dead give away, as well as the stitch or staple through the center line of the band/crown, which is also characteristic of how cheaply these were made. Why the Atwood hats are seen as some pinnacle of cap making is really a mystery to me.
    They were everywhere when I was a kid, and easily spotted at the time.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I told him to compare the shred with an Atwood cap in the dimensions of a.) color of textile in cap cover; b.) nature of velvet in cap band; c.) width of cap band; d.) color and textile of remnant cotton inner lining.
    The field grey in the Atwood caps is distinct, of lesser quality trikot than in an authentic cap. Also, the width of the cap band is a dead give away, as well as the stitch or staple through the center line of the band/crown, which is also characteristic of how cheaply these were made. Why the Atwood hats are seen as some pinnacle of cap making is really a mystery to me.
    They were everywhere when I was a kid, and easily spotted at the time.
    I see, now. There is no substitute for knowledge, experience, and close attention to detail. We are all benefited by your kind sharing of your skills. Thank you, again and again, for your help in unraveling the mysteries and, at times, the tricks and tricksters of this field.

Bruce is an excellent man to deal with, I must get in touch with him soon and ask him to find me some nice black woolens for my collection.

Regards,

CMH

Thanks. Chiefly I am just old and have seen too much.
    Do buy my collection, and you can have as many old black clothes as you desire.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-08-2014 at 10:35 PM.

I recall that Bob H generously donated an SS Alteste from his collection which Nick (NTZ) dissected several years ago.
    I will see if I can find the pics from the old thread.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

htefa\
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:27 AM.

We thank you for your diagram and your eagerness to share what you know. We all profit from it.
    Happy hats.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast