Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Article about: Ben is a wonderful collector scholar, as we all know. I have a very serious adult job, which consumes a lot of my time, and I cannot translate all of this. I will leave the burden to others,

Default Re: The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Ben is a wonderful collector scholar, as we all know. I have a very serious adult job, which consumes a lot of my time, and I cannot translate all of this. I will leave the burden to others, who are native speakers and very civic minded, to boot.The anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the Schirmmutze

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The anatomy of the Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

I am a creep. But my goal is to make everyone better. The whole process, such as it was, consisted of at least twelve steps, described in the list. The peak and sweat band were put on towards the end of the process with special sewing machines designed to sew all in one fell swoop, or not. The book of mine shows these sewing machines, which are also in the Wilkins book. Plainly, in certain cases, the peak was sewn on by hand separately from the sweat band.
    Or the sweat band was attached in the patented "pressure free" manner or whatever.

But this book is the closest there exists among the sources known to me as concerns a "How to..." and all these tailoring books assume that those who read them are already apprentices, and have a basline of knowledge acquired over eight years......eight years....of training, which is treated as a given.

We have trouble reconstructing these eight years of training, as well as the following years of skilled craft or manufactory experience.The anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the Schirmmutze

I do know that all the Vulcanfiber peaks I have seen detached have notch in the middle to guide the process of sewing the thing down the center line of the front of the cap, that is, to center the peak under the cap band and to square with the crown....

But this is a picayune and arcane bit of knowledge....The anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the Schirmmutze

?

Thank you FB , And your not a creep ,but you are a good source of information and learning, now that i have said that can i expect the cheque in the post or do you want any more praise, my terms are cheap .

Thank you. I will give you The anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the Schirmmutzemy collection. In the meantime, I give you Gartenzwerge as a down payment.

?

Yes Ben , i have sewn a few on myself but all have the existing holes and all the vulcanfibres i have done had the V notch, i did these mainly for theatrical work and for putting together displays from old east german caps and your right it is time consuming but i found it very satisfying afterwards, that is really why i asked the question , to see if the manufacturing processes have differed so much since the war or have remained very similar

?

I loved the pics of those first two caps, love the condition, would have one in my collection anyday!!!!!!

?

Yeah, your right there Ben, although have you also noticed that the two pieces that extend into the cap nearest the cap cord buttons can vary in length quite a bit, some are just about right some are quite long and slightly distort the band either side.

?

Ive found on quite a lot of the East german and Bundeswehr caps that the two side ends of the peak extend well beyond the stitching into the band area, but ive never seen this on TR caps which suggests to me that the mass production after the war was below the previous standards, and i dont sleep much at night , had M.E for a number of years so i cant work, hence having to sell a great deal of my collections over the years

?

Are we continuing this one guys i'm looking forward to more cap education
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast