Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Article about: Ben is a wonderful collector scholar, as we all know. I have a very serious adult job, which consumes a lot of my time, and I cannot translate all of this. I will leave the burden to others,

?

Default Re: The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

I sense my comment might be considered as being arrogant or an insult to your efforts Kenneth? That was not my aim at all. I am truly delighted that you have chosen to become involved in the subject and joined our very small but dedicated band.

However, interesting as period books and UM articles are, there is absolutely no substitute to just sitting down for an hour or two and studying the actual hat in your hands. Even better would be to buy a replica cap and actualy take it apart, making notes of how each element fits together and the construction methods used. When you have all the parts laid out on the table, think about how you, yourself would put it all back together again if you had to. What tools would you need? In what order would you approach it? is a part handsewn or machine sewn? if machine sewn, how would you physicaly place those parts on a sewing machine? (impossible without the correct machine alterations) Reverse eng ineering is really the best and easiest way to understanding what it really takes to make something whether it be a hat or a Boeing B29 (just ask the soviets about the B29!)
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:21 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The anatomy of the Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I sense my comment might be considered as being arrogant or an insult to your efforts Kenneth? That was not my aim at all. I am truly delighted that you have chosen to become involved in the subject and joined our very small but dedicated band.

However, interesting as period books and UM articles are, there is absolutely no substitute to just sitting down for an hour or two and studying the actual hat in your hands. Even better would be to buy a replica cap and actualy take it apart, making notes of how each element fits together and the construction methods used. When you have all the parts laid out on the table, think about how you, yourself would put it all back together again if you had to. What tools would you need? In what order would you approach it? is a part handsewn or machine sewn? if machine sewn, how would you physicaly place those parts on a sewing machine? (impossible without the correct machine alterations) Reverse eng ineering is really the best and easiest way to understanding what it really takes to make something whether it be a hat or a Boeing B29 (just ask the soviets about the B29!)
    I didn't feel insulted Ben, because I know exactly what you mean. These production steps are very basic indeed. At least you don't have to wonder anymore what these paragraphs were in fact saying Before the Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs (which I have studied by the way) were deciphered, many people expected that this mystical writing was a key to existence itself, the wisdom of the ages, the meaning of life, god, you name it. When Champollion supplied the breakthrough that was needed to read them, these people were horrified and shocked and utterly disappointed. Why? It turned out that these mystical signs were simply the Ancient Egyptians' way of expressing their native language in writing

I agree with your thoughts on reverse engineering Ben If armed with that and the period information, now that would be a powerful combination!

- Kenneth

Quote by BenVK View Post

However, interesting as period books and UM articles are, there is absolutely no substitute to just sitting down for an hour or two and studying the actual hat in your hands. Even better would be to buy a replica cap and actualy take it apart, making notes of how each element fits together and the construction methods used. When you have all the parts laid out on the table, think about how you, yourself would put it all back together again if you had to. What tools would you need? In what order would you approach it? is a part handsewn or machine sewn? if machine sewn, how would you physicaly place those parts on a sewing machine? (impossible without the correct machine alterations) Reverse engineering is really the best and easiest way to understanding what it really takes to make something whether it be a hat or a Boeing B29 (just ask the soviets about the B29!)
    This is also how tailors once operated, and this is how the Proben were used. They were the model to follow, in fact, but the method of following it had far wider latitude than we in the age of super sized Taylorism will admit. But a cap was not a major industrial machine, requiring the skill of a nation's most sophisticated machine age talent. It was more akin to a loaf of bread, or to a pair of shoes in a time when the hand made object was more the norm that it is today.

Ben can demonstrate this process of reverse engineering in a mise en scene in you tube, if he wants.
    We would watch with interest.
    Or the fakers could do same, surely.

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Ben can demonstrate this process of reverse engineering in a mise en scene in you tube, if he wants.
    We would watch with interest.
    Or the fakers could do same, surely.
    That's a scary thought Friedrich!

- Kenneth

Quote by KSH View Post
    That's a scary thought Friedrich!

- Kenneth
    I suppose one could invite the Russian mafia people who oversee this task in Latvia or wherever to offer us a glimpse into their skills.
    Or you could actually go to the few German firms that still do this, and ask them. I am chums with the Breiter people in Munich, and they train fetching young women to make bespoke hats for the upper 10,000 in Oberbayern, though I do not think they make SS caps any more. But they could surely show us how a peaked cap is made.
    In any case, those who made our peaked caps have long gone to Muetzenmacher heaven, and with them went their knowledge and skill which we can partially reconstruct by archaeology, but without the historical context, the physical remnants make no sense. Or they are incomplete.
    Kenneth, you have already made this point, and I wholly agree.
    As a professional historian with training in archives and the economic and social history of the time, these objects can speak to us more clearly.
    However, Ben is a fine person and his ideas have great merit. And he has used high tech to break the code of UM, which I am too old and stupid to do.
    Thanks for your translations.
    Happy collecting.The anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the SchirmmutzeThe anatomy of the Schirmmutze

?

You may see me on youtube playing the drums or windsurfing but you will never see me dissecting or re-assembling a hat! ;

All of above skills I've learn't have been hard earned with lots of sweat and tears and can't simply be downloaded into the brain!
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:22 AM.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    You may see me on youtube playing the drums or windsurfing but you will never see me dissecting or re-assembling a hat! ;

All of above skills I've learn't have been hard earned with lots of sweat and tears and can't simply be downloaded into the brain!
    I could really use that download Ben

Friedrich: your deep delving into the primary (first-hand) sources is really a piece of good work! For me it's a vaccine against the diseases spread on a certain "other forum".

- Kenneth

Quote by BenVK View Post

I watch videos on how to fix Mercedes diesels ( I own two of them, as I aspire to be a taxi driver in Wien as part of my conversion to peacetime) that are quite subtle, so I am sure you can exceed the requirement here with some master piece. Besides, you might become as famous as the sexy Russian grammar girl I like so much. But you are making my point as regards the imponderables of craft and art versus the McDonald's hamburger lowest common denominator Taylorite/Fordism training manual for the mental and social equivalent of the lowest social level in Huxley's Brave New World. His is our world, sadly, and it stinks.

Quote by KSH View Post
    I could really use that download Ben

Friedrich: your deep delving into the primary (first-hand) sources is really a piece of good work! To me it's a vaccine against the diseases spread on a certain "other forum".

- Kenneth

Thanks. The whacko forum is its own reward, for sure. However, it gets so much traffic that it does sometimes draw a nice piece, which is quite sad.
    However, my historical approach belongs to a forgotten time; it requires a commitment that is obsolete in the present, and is pissed on in my native country, which is why I have to become a tax driver in Wien.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast