Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Article about: Ben is a wonderful collector scholar, as we all know. I have a very serious adult job, which consumes a lot of my time, and I cannot translate all of this. I will leave the burden to others,

Default Re: The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Hi Dave, you are correct. The soutach may be rayon and like the cotton lining be a less attractive dinner than the woolen body of the cap.

An interesting pic.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The anatomy of the Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

?

That reinforcement strip looks like waxed linen or canvas, which i suppose would make sense to be used as a stiffener

I imagine a lot of people will now be fondling their caps as a result of this pic
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I imagine a lot of people will now be fondling their caps as a result of this pic
    In the hope that they dont end up like this one!!!!

Das Gewehr
    ?

Hello, I`m From Argentina, have you more photos inside? Sorry for my English.

?

A recently available piece from Bruce Hermann. Ben, would you be willing to elaborate on what we see here as a quick lesson? I know I would greatly appreciate a description of the components.

Regards,

CMH

The anatomy of the Schirmmutze

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This is the anatomy of a Schirmmuetze in the original. You need look no farther than this.Attachment 179334Attachment 179335Attachment 179336

There is no need to show wrecked caps to ascertain how they were made. The pieces, raw material, and process are described here as contained in this book. The process and chronology are described in this book ca. 1935.

I also got the Peek & Cloppenburg uniform making book from 1942, which also does huge damage to the archaeology paradigm as operates on the marron dorkimer website. It is a history of military tailoring and its modernization, which is also in the UM thingies. This reality is the center of gravity here, not some list derived from looking at 250 or 350 extant caps in North America.
    I added this some time ago, and it is the basis of my understanding, but Ben can add from his rich experience.

?

How did I miss this thread? Excellent reference. Has anyone tried to label the cap in the first pic?

?

xdfjf
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Marvelous anatomical lesson. Worthy of the great of the storied past. Well done.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast