Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Black SS officer visor named

Article about: Gents wanted to run this one by you to make sure. Looks good from my perspective, but better safe than sorry. Thank you for your opinions!

Here are some more photos. Thanks for your opinions. Sorry my photos are not great but we are still having grey weather!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black SS officer visor named   Black SS officer visor named  

Black SS officer visor named   Black SS officer visor named  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS officer visor named
    P
    Many

A few more!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black SS officer visor named   Black SS officer visor named  

Black SS officer visor named  

This is a size 58 same as Bohme. But it still does not prove it was his.
    Last edited by sam1chlt; 01-26-2016 at 05:09 AM.

I think the cap is mostly authentic, although none of the images is very good. The Schlienitz firm is the exception to the norm, such as it is.

The cap is not especially tall, as befits some signs of its possible date of manufacture.

The Overhoff badge is seldom seen on a black cap, and the Hoheitsadler I am not sure of.

The textile parts seem alright.

The sweat band is or is not of the epoch. I cannot tell.

The silver wire brain brake does or does not fit.

The handwriting of the name tag is very well done, which is unlike the fakes.

My Sutterlin is good, but not that good.

The wear to the interior looks authentic.

I am very skeptical of the Boehme association, but that is me.

There are those who would know what became of his family, in fact.

I hardly can see a family preserving this item as a relic in view of the man's deeds.

The US forces did march well into Boehmen, as we all know, and I own relics as a result of this occupation.

The collector who owns this has very nice things. If the thing were without the Boehme link, and of a modest price, I think it would be pretty straight forward.

If, on the other hand, the seller exacts a premium because of the Boehme aspect, you have to assess this issue with the requirement for real provenance.

I own ten or more of these black officer caps, so I generalize from such data.....

Such are the thoughts off the top of my head.

Good luck with your collecting.

Thank you FB. My photos stink as the weather here is still dark. This hat in hand gave me chills. Not sure quite how to explain it. It also has a heaviness to it which I assume is do to wear. I disregard the name, which has been stated could have been added at anytime.
    The seller also discredited the name association and gave me a fair price

Your help is certainly appreciated!

Thanks. Heaviness is not a good sign, in fact. If you mean the thing seems heavier than a normal cap. You should weigh it alongside caps you know to be real.

Caps tend to be light in weight, as they were intended to cause the person's head as little stress as possible.

The thing also looks dirty. If you are not used to handling these things, they have a certain frightening aspect to them, which I am the first to warrant.

I am happy to help those as yourself who are cordial and interested in the facts.

You could also send it to others, of course, depending on your level of ambition.

The name tag is very well executed and it looks old, too......

- - ------- - -

The silver wire cord can also be heavier, in fact.

It is the silver wire cord that is heavier. I just compared to others.

Thank you

For my two cents, I think investigating the name is a worthy endeavor until evidence or expense are prohibitive. Why own these pieces if not to find out where they take us, what they can reveal to us? If it were to be authentic, do we not owe some small part to history to ensure that significant pieces are known and thereby given proper preservation? I hope you keep looking on this one. Afterall, that's a big part of the fun.

There is a group of scholars in Germany who have gone deeply into the collective biography of all the men around Heydrich.

I agree that such research is vital and important. Some of the collector oriented dagger tracking firms only do a kind of minimum, and the quality of this research
    is sometimes very dodgy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast