Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Cap, Opinions Please???

Article about: Picked this up last week with some DAK items, Obviously the trap is not original, any opinions on the cap would be appreciated !!!

Default Cap, Opinions Please???

Picked this up last week with some DAK items,

Obviously the trap is not original, any opinions on the cap would be appreciated !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cap, Opinions Please???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cap, Opinions Please???

Hi Martin, while not an issue cap, I think it is good. Most likely an Italian made private purchase cap in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the input !

Would it have any value???
    Last edited by Totenhead; 10-25-2011 at 10:34 AM.

What I don't understand, is if this is part of a Vet bring back group, why has it been 'pimped' with that crappy trapezoid insignia. It casts doubt on it, IMO and makes me wonder about the story attached to the whole group, though the other items looked good. It does look to have age, but as I posted elsewhere, it does not correspond to any known originals, unless Ade has seen similar Italian made caps with a known history and you will struggle to sell it, as it is not even close to being text book (unless it is very cheap).

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry,

Thanks for the input. I never stated the cap was brought back with the Afrika Cuff and document. The cap was brought back from Africa by a British soldier who served there during the war. I am assuming the cuff and document were aquired later which is what i was told by the deceased soldiers son who i aquired them from.

To me it makes perfect sense that someone would add a crappy trapezoid later for display purposes, why not? The internet is a modern invention, older generations would not have had access to the information we have now, indeed the person i bought the items from may have added the trap later, thinking it was a DAK cap ? if you look carefully can you not see where something has been stiched to to the cap before the modern trap. Attend the Imperial War Museum, i assume you have, alot of the insignia are reproduction, used as fillers

As always, the pictures cannot portray the true condition or look of the cap, i have no doubt in my mind that its a period cap from africa , whatever it may be, if you held it in your hand, saw the true look and feel of it it, could smell it, you would understand.

As regards value, it is academic to me, i am keeping it, i like it.

Regards

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Jerry,

Thanks for the input. I never stated the cap was brought back with the Afrika Cuff and document. The cap was brought back from Africa by a British soldier who served there during the war. I am assuming the cuff and document were aquired later which is what i was told by the deceased soldiers son who i aquired them from.

To me it makes perfect sense that someone would add a crappy trapezoid later for display purposes, why not? The internet is a modern invention, older generations would not have had access to the information we have now, indeed the person i bought the items from may have added the trap later, thinking it was a DAK cap ? if you look carefully can you not see where something has been stiched to to the cap before the modern trap.

As always, the pictures cannot portray the true condition or look of the cap, i have no doubt in my mind that its a period cap from africa , whatever it may be, if you held it in your hand, saw the true look and feel of it it, could smell it, you would understand.

As regards value, it is academic to me, i am keeping it, i like it.

Regards
    Martin, obviously I misunderstood the history behind this item and it's connection to the other items. I agree that people pimp items and have done since during the war, though the trap looks to be a recent addition. Have you thought of taking it off and seeing if there is any sign of any insignia being there from before. You asked about it's value, so usually that means the person asking want's to sell the item, though not always and no offence intended. If you like it and are keeping it, value does not matter, except for insurance purposes, though it was probably worth what you were willing to pay for it, my point was that you will struggle to sell this, IMO.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry,

No worries, no offence taken at all. I did get the cap with the other items, but it was basically free of charge, when i first saw the pictures i was provided with, i also thought the cap was rubbish, the crap trap was a give away straight away, the deal was done on the basis that the cuff and document were legit, the cap was not significant.

Upon receiving the items and looking at the cap, as i have previously stated, there is no doubt in my mind that its a period item, obviously i have seen DAK caps before and it did not measure up, but it is something, its not a repro and its very old without doubt. You need to hold it in your hand, the material is quite frail, looks alot thicker in the pictures like the cheap repro caps

?

Interesting hat. Authentic IMO and most probably field made or made in a POW camp. They wore some interesting gear in Africa!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cap, Opinions Please???  

Thanks for the input Ben, i have been getting mostly negative vibes about the cap, but i have no doubt its period, no doubt at all , i am not trying to "Big " it up to sell, as it were, i am quite happy to keep it !