Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

English Captured Pith Helmet??

Article about: Hello all, here is a pith helmet that I would want you all to take a look. The seller obtained it from a German POW vet's estate, who was captured in Tunis. Also from the vet himself is a PO

Default English Captured Pith Helmet??

Hello all, here is a pith helmet that I would want you all to take a look. The seller obtained it from a German POW vet's estate, who was captured in Tunis. Also from the vet himself is a POW art that he made while under captivity. Now on the pith helmet, I've seen captured and reissued foreign pith, but have not seen an English one. Do you guys think this hat is a possibility? Also have you seen ANY German used pith that only had one shield on them? Thanks in advance!

Ran

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement English Captured Pith Helmet??
    P
    Many

Anything is possible but with the lack of the tri color shield, this is certainly an easy item to produce to fool collectors with a story without any written provenance. As the Germans would have control over the insignia, it is difficult to believe they ran out of tricolor shields.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Anything is possible but with the lack of the tri color shield, this is certainly an easy item to produce to fool collectors with a story without any written provenance. As the Germans would have control over the insignia, it is difficult to believe they ran out of tricolor shields.
    That's what I was thinking, too. Maybe the POV captured the hat and put his own extra insignia on it? As you said anything is possible. Thank you for the input!

Ran

Btw here is the POV art piece from the same person.

It's interesting to note that the monogram on the lighter, which appears it could be a stylized 'HG', looks remarkably like the monogrammed DAK ring in this current thread.

gold and nielio dak ring plus period add for this style

Could it be the same? And what does it represent? A soldiers initials or a divisional sign perhaps? Maybe it's just a coincidence, a figment of my overactive imagination??

English Captured Pith Helmet??English Captured Pith Helmet??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Perhaps Fat Herman made a trip to Afrika and handed out a few souvenirs to mark the occasion?

I like the lighter,by the way! Very impressive details!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The sun helmet is not an British Army issue but is a design they used just this is not an issue version, though they did use requisitioned civilian examples in times of need. The Italians used a sun helmet of this design as well so who can say, it certainly seems old enough but it would be easy to add a German shield to it at any time.
    Apart from the ovious buy the item not the story, it might be good but you need to have a good look at the mounting pins and see if they look to have been there for 70 years, though I doubt a POw would have been allowed to wear the helmet with insignia in captivity and also the shield would have been nicked by his captors or swapped for....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's interesting to note that the monogram on the lighter, which appears it could be a stylized 'HG', looks remarkably like the monogrammed DAK ring in this current thread.
    The design of the letters is a bit odd, but to be honest, the monogram on the lighter looks like "AB" to me.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The design of the letters is a bit odd, but to be honest, the monogram on the lighter looks like "AB" to me.
    I agree. I believe the style on these 'gothic' letters are more cubed, which means the 'H' would obviously be a cube version of an A.

Regards,
    Bas