Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Genuine Luftwaffe cap?

Article about: Hello everyone. I have this cap. I have never seen another one like it, its not in any reference book I've seen, and have always assumed it to be a fake. It is unmarked. Would members be kin

?

Default Re: Genuine Luftwaffe cap?

IMO the cap is a HBT field made example. I cringed when you took the trap off. I would have left it until more opinions were given by experts. Just because it isn't "textbook" doesn't mean it is bad. If real, you lowered the value by removing the insignia. We shouldn't be so hasty in such situations. "Textbook" is a dirty word.imo.
    Dean.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Was the cap faded under where the trap was? ......... U R a brave man Gunga Din to remove it.

I found this ( tiny ) image on the web of an 'in situ' trap and the swaz is touching the cockade .....gulp!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

I havnt been hasty, Ive had five years of inconclusive opinions with a strong predominant view that its fake. - its worth it to get an answer. And if its not real, it was the right thing to do. The cap was not faded under the badge.

It was crudley hand stitched on and would be easily replaced if necessary. Obviously its removal would be unfortunate if authentic.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Quote by Dean View Post
    IMO the cap is a HBT field made example. I cringed when you took the trap off. I would have left it until more opinions were given by experts. Just because it isn't "textbook" doesn't mean it is bad. If real, you lowered the value by removing the insignia. We shouldn't be so hasty in such situations. "Textbook" is a dirty word.imo.
    Dean.
    I would really like to know on what you base your opinion Dean that it is a field made cap as though it was suggested -by me- that it might be, it does not look like any of the examples of such HBT caps that I have seen elsewhere?

The insignia was poorly applied and could be just as easily poorly restored if in the end the insignia and more importantly the cap is considered good, and as to lowering its value, how do you assess that on this cap, as though you mention textbook is a dirty word, who is going to pay big bucks for this cap when it is not textbook? I assume most of us buy items because we like them, but anyone who does not consider what the going rate is when purchasing items must live on a different planet to me and what would the value be for this cap?

Throwing in an opinion without supporting it and spouting phrases such as textbook is a dirty word is a waste of forum space IMHO. We all know that items that are not textbook existed, but to say that textbook is a dirty word is just childish nonesense IMHO
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for that Jerry, and thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Looking back through my records I find that one of the places I have asked about this cap before and been told its a fake, is in fact this forum, some two years ago. I had forgotten this. Here is the link. As you can see, Ben the moderator suggests that the trap is probably fake.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cap-au...49/#post228001

Posting this twice is due to my forgetfullness, but im glad I did as I am getting more in depth opinions this time.

Having been told its a fake on this forum you can hardly blame me for treating it like one.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Was the cap faded under where the trap was? ......... U R a brave man Gunga Din to remove it.

I found this ( tiny ) image on the web of an 'in situ' trap and the swaz is touching the cockade .....gulp!
    Sorry guys, I did state in my post 7, Edit: That I had seen examples of the swaz touching the cockade but still thought it was a repro. The alder in this thread just does not have the detail one would expect, see below a good example for comparison
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ex4sn6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	481201  

?

Sorry if I offended anyone by saying the word " textbook" is a dirty word, but it is dangerous. My panzer beret has a very un- professional look to it. I have seen a few field made caps and they don't muster up to the standard textbook status, but are real. No hard feelings, I just wanted to add my personal opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	481335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	481336  

No problem Dean, I just wondered if you had seen a HBT cap that matched this one, as though it is not textbook, it is not too bad looking. As far as textbook goes, many items such as medals, helmets and their decals and many other items are only accepted if they are textbook. We all know that with cloth items there are oddities that don't match the known examples in textbooks and that field made examples exist, but in the main even they are known from a few examples and do now appear in textbooks. In particular with cloth items, many of the oddities are in terms of the combination of insignia and the caps or tunics themselves still follow the accepted norms.
    Regards,

Jerry

"Private Purchase" is another term that bucks the textbook version of things - is it fake or PP????
    I have a M38 feldmutze that I'm convinced is a private purchase item for an NCO. Things like 'wrap under soutache' and no vent grommet make some folk go cold ...... but they did exist with PP items. "Minds open to the unusual" is my motto.

Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

I have no problem with items being private purchase and for British officer items such as headgear and tunics they are all private purchase and there are variations but they still conform to the set down rules and regulations. The officer caps can have anywhere from none to eight grommets for instance and even by the same maker this can vary. That said there are serious oddities out there shown in period photographs that if we saw them for sale would scoff, but using the phrase, "they never did that did they?, yes they did" to justify any oddball cap as fieldmade or private purchase is just playing into the fakers hands IMO.

A lot of factors other than the textbook need to be considered when looking at non standard items, either fieldmade or private purchase and this is usually best done in hand and as Douglas has had this cap in hand for a number of years and thought it was likely to be iffy, then surely that should be a key point in deciding it's authenticity.

The problem is that accepting non standard items as good allows fakers to take the money from those who buy such items. We all have or have had items that we want to believe in and sometimes it is easier to call out bad items when they belong to others than when they are in our own collections, I have a tropical generals cap that is stunning and 99% of other collectors think it is a movie prop or fake/copy and I agree 99% with that verdict, but part of me just cannot agree 100% with that verdict.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast